1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M1530/1330 "AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined?" Error Thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by hanime, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanime

hanime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When I boot up my laptop, I get this exact error:

Screenshot: http://www.hanime.net/adapter.jpg

I recently updated from BIOS A08 to A09 if that matters. Any ideas?

2. X2P

X2P I♥COOLING | NBR Super Mod

Reputations:
    Just strike the F3 key. I have had this dozens of times on updates and clean installs with my Vostro 1500 and its not a big deal.

3. hanime

hanime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  4. rpt2000

rpt2000 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had this problem on my M1330. It really does decrease your computers performance. You will also notice that your power supply is a lot cooler as your computer is drawing less current. Your battery may not charge.

You need dell to replace the power supply, it's a common problem so you should not have any hassle. The latest adapter is Rev A02. A Dell rep in the USA suggested on a forum to ask for a 90w adapter so the problem does not recur.

5. XPSboy

XPSboy Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i think that's software conflict....maybe your new installed software is not playing with the other software installed. (ex. NVIDIA, etc.)

i got 90W Rev04 adapter, still i experienced that problem just once.....i just rollback my previous snapshot and all of my faulty latest installed software is gone and that AC power adapter problem never pop up.

6. PvD

PvD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Actually that has nothing to do with software, if you go to bios and under AC Adapter it will be listed as unknown, If you have another ac adapter to test with do it, if you dont call Dell they will replace the ac adapter for you, If you have another ac adapter to test with, and the other ac adapter does the same the Motherboard has to be replaced (Including Video Card, which is soldered to the Motherboard)

7. yasdaz

yasdaz Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My apologies, PvD; I am not clear on what you are saying. If in the bios the adaptor shows as unknown then you might have a motherboard problem? You need to test with another adaptor (if you have one around) because if it shows up as unknown you definately have a motherboard problem? Sorry, just need a bit of clarity :). Thanks!

8. Death Ro

Death Ro Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I got the same problem on mine. However, I just continue and it charges. I don't think my performance has suffered any either...

9. Arsenaly

Arsenaly Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    just hit F3 its not a big deal

10. derviskemal

derviskemal Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i get exactly the same error whenever i startup.
    might have to contact dell and see what they have to say...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.