M14x's RAM Limitation?

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by CGSDR, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madmantm

madmantm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. Blahax101

Blahax101 Newbie

Reputations:
    K. I have a M14x with the Intel i7 2630QM processer. I was just wondering how much RAM I would be able to put into it (Preferably as much as I can), because I am finding that 6 GB of RAM doesn't seem to cut it when trying to run a mc server with 12 people on it without lag. Also, is the 2630QM a unlocked processer, or is it locked like a lot of its i5 friends? I have some video intensive things I'm running, and I'm currently debating whether its better to just get a new processer or to overclock it.

Thanks

Edit-Never mind. Found what i was looking for on the second page =P

3. CGSDR

CGSDR Alien Master Race

Reputations:
    According to Intel website about the Intel Core i7 2630QM, the maximum RAM is 16GB, so it will be 2x8GB on the M14x since there are only 2 slots available, as for the CPU, it is a locked version, all of the QM series are locked, while the only unlocked version is the XM series (Extreme Edition), and it is not worth it if you feeling of upgrade to those XM series, because of 2 reason: 1) Price, 2) Current heating issue on the M14x.

4. Blahax101

Blahax101 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks CGSDR. As for the processer, are there any others other than the 2720QM that are better than the 2630QM, that are compatible with the M14x's motherboard, and are probable to not overheat when installed on a M14x?

5. CGSDR

CGSDR Alien Master Race

Reputations:
    If you didnt know, the M14x's motherboard compatible with any Sandy Bridge CPU, i.e from 2630QM up to 2960XM (Extreme Edition - Overclock-able). But if you still looking to get the Extreme Edition and want to know how to, then there is already a guy who already got the XM CPU on his M14x, follow this link: m14x CPU Overclocking with i7 Extreme 2960XM

6. owatch15

owatch15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You'd have to partition your hard drive in order to use multiple OS's. A third party tool would also be required or maybe recommended to make it easy to choose the OS

7. Blahax101

Blahax101 Newbie

Reputations:

K. Thanks. I would get the xtreme series processer, but considering the one I have makes the fan go nuts when Em just running Minecraft, I think I'll stay away from it.

8. BaboonbOY

BaboonbOY Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    From that intel link my m14x with 2760QM is capable of having 32gb of ram. :) Currently I've got 6gb and this seems fine but if I increased this to say 8gb or 16gb would this improve gaming in any way at all?

9. CGSDR

CGSDR Alien Master Race

Reputations:
    RAM does not improve framerate, it is the work of the GPU or CPU, depending on the game, some game is CPU dependable (i.e Minecraft), some will be GPU dependable (i.e Battlefield 3), and RAM the higher the RAM would just give you more resource say in BF3 if you use the Ultra setting for the texture, then with 8GB you wont be getting any stuttering or visual lag, but with 6GB you wont get constant stuttering.

In short, more RAM mean more resource for your computer to use, good for program that require a large processing space like Games and video processing - Adobe etc...

10. copper7op

copper7op Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I cant believe this thread is still around. I've been meaning to install another 8GB DDR3 stick, and yes, I do use it all.

Many of the questions around multiple OS's are for Virtual Machines. As a systems admin, my M14x is almost exclusively used for this, and 8GB ram just isn't enough. I cant even remember the last time my nVidia card got used (but I like to have it as an option)

I've just been waiting to see if it will light on fire when I upgrade, haha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.