M14x... worst laptop i've had and is pretty much unusable

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by Paddon, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headphones989

headphones989 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    didn't read all of that ^ but i can say from personal experience my ssd didn't always agree with my m14x r1 (my m14x r2 is loving my current 240 gb kingston ssd though). please note that ssd's are a relatively new hardware and i wouldn't fully rely on them being fully functional with all laptops (some will work better than others - my feelings are that you should stay away from OCZ right now even though they're generally the cheapest because they love to mess up or not be fully compatible). try a samsung, intel, or my personal favorite kingston.

2. digitalmo

digitalmo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I never saw a reliable way to get SATA III working on the r1. Some people literally accept bluescreens as a side-effect of getting it to "work"... Or they get throttled to SATA II by a later BIOS update. I never trusted my r1 enough to install an SSD as the primary drive...

3. Duna Unha

Duna Unha Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Paddon,

I suppose you did update your SSD firmware, right?
    My OCZAgility3, ridiculous fast, works at SATA 3, never gave me any problems AFTER I UPDATED the firmware...

It would'n even boot twice with the SSD original firmware.

Regards...

4. Paddon

Paddon Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No i didnt do the firmware update :S

but i just put my HDD back in and its still crashing a stuff :(

5. rfielder

rfielder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Everything I have read about OCZ SSD's says that they have major issues with firmware. Updating helps. Usually.

I am ready to upgrade my laptop from a WD Black 750Gb to a 480Gb or 512Gb SSD, and have been researching to see what to get. OCZ's prices are the best, but my laptop is kind of mission critical for me, so I can't afford to take a chance. Saving $100 to $200 is very, very attractive. However, if I end up with no audio at an event, the loss in revenue and the damage to my reputation will far outweigh the savings. I do use two laptops when working with my full sound system, but twice a week I use my small system which works with one laptop only.

I think I am going to copy a boatload of songs to my SG3 as a backup...... :)

If you cloned your SSD onto the hard drive, you may have copied a damaged OS and are trying to boot from a damaged OS.

Did you do another full, clean install onto the HDD? If so, are you using drivers for the R1 or the R2? You said the motherboard replacement upgraded you to the motherboard from the R2, which might need different drivers than the R1.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.