M14x R3 is almost here with an official announcement in about 6-8 days. Hopefuly they fixed the following

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by Benchmade 42, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil_Mask

Evil_Mask Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  2. Benchmade 42

Benchmade 42 Titanium

Reputations:

Let's see if AW improved the single fan with a much bigger one with bigger heatsink. The issue here is that loud horror noise that went above 50+ decibels and sounded like a jet engine or hairdyer. If they can reduce the single fan noise then I'm fine not having dual fan cooling.

3. rfielder

rfielder Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Personally, I like the idea of having a port that can contain an optical drive, or another hard drive, or some other component. In reality, given that these are a low volume product, I would not expect the engineering costs to be worth it.

In fact, I removed the optical drive from my 12.1" Fujitsu laptop a couple of years ago and replaced it with a second hard drive - running 720Gb of SSD for a very fast little system. There has been only one situation where I regretted not having the optical drive, and that was because my USB external optical drive failed. I can ALMOST count the number of discs burned on that laptop with the fingers of one fist.... :)

There seems to be an implication that the R3 will not have a lit keyboard. That is a deal killer for me - no lit keyboard, no buy. I find this far too useful when working in many situations - I DJ, and I do photo and video editing in odd (as in - not well lit) situations. A well aimed LED, such as some Lenovo have, might work, but I am not sure.....

For me, the following are needed to make it worthwhile:
    - newer nVidia video card from latest generation
    - improved cooling
    - 32Gb RAM max
    - good selection of high end CPUs
    - more ports that are current - USB3, etc.
    - better engineering in terms of not having keys pressed against the screen when closed, mechanical keyboard or very high quality keyboard
    - next generation WiFi, preferred 11ac
    - top quality IPS or equiv screen, regardless of resolution

For screen resoltuion, I would like to say 1920x1080 (or even better - 1920 x 1200!) but given the pi$$ poor way Windows handles changing the font size, I am not sure that 1600x900 isn't the ideal resolution for a 14" screen. I find 1920x1080 on a 15.6" screen to be very good, but if the characters were any smaller it would not work for me. I have been using a 12.1" 1280x800 screen for a few years, and it is very good and easy to read, but I would not want things to be any smaller on that screen.

Should there be a way to make Windows handle changing system font sizes and magnification really, really well - ONLY THEN would a higher resolution screen become a requirement.

These requirements are not outlandish - you can get close to every one of them on other laptops. Should Alienware put them all into one 14" laptop and keep the price reasonable, it should move a lot of units IMHO.

4. Evil_Mask

Evil_Mask Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The new 14x has a lit keyboard (you could see it on the video that was leaked few days ago). That would have been very odd otherwise considering the current gen has one.

I currently have an Asus ux32vd with full hd 13.3" display and it is just the perfect size/resolution for me.

I'll wait to see the announcement on monday to decide but the new clevo w230st looks like a 14x killer to me.

5. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I wonder if they will step the graphics at all since the 765M space is getting pretty crowded.

6. dasmoothride

dasmoothride Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Can you please provide a link for the leaked M14x R3 with a backlit keyboard?

7. Evil_Mask

Evil_Mask Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Here you go : http://i.imgur.com/EmzWbTO.jpg

The picture was captured by Cloudfire from the video that leaked last week (which seems to have disappeared btw). You can see the letters on the keyboard are slightly lightning. No more lights around the keys though.

Anyway we will see about all that tomorrow :)

8. phoduma

phoduma Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if its in the 4lbs range im in if not GTFO!

9. blindpet

blindpet Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have never understood this whole it must be light thing. Is it because you are all on planes all the time where there is a weight restriction or something?

10. Mastaa

Mastaa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Same here, if you want portability to the max and have a damn slim thing, buy a netbook, a tablet or a hybrid or what else there is, but don't expect any high performance machines..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.