]]>

M14x R2 Bringing back from the dead

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by Fletch510k, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Fletch510k

Fletch510k Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, dusted off my m14x r2 and fell in love with it again. However it is slow as hell. I have trawled threads but alot contradict each other.

Looking at upgrading the 500gb hdd to ssd. I notice after research I have an msata slot which I never knew much about. Apparently it works at sataIII speeds.

Question 1) is the msata slot limited to 256gb? A few threads say this.

Question 2) what port is next to the msata? Thin one.

Question 3) would i be better to upgrade the primary hdd bay to ssd. Or fine to leave the hdd where it is and fit a ssd to the msata? Basically looking for as much speed as possible.

Thanks any help would be appreciated

2. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Question 1 : I very much doubt its limited to 256GB. Perhaps that was the limitation of the drive size at the time of release much like how laptops from 2011-2012 were limited to 16GB because of the 4GB dimm size available at the time. I believe 1TB is the largest for mSATA.

Question 2: I cant be sure to be honest. When looking at the service manual it states the daughter board as having the following. mSATA, WWAN and HDMI / DP. Sim Card. Then half height WLAN.

Question 3: I believe the hierarchy of speed is generally speaking like this. M.2 PCIE > M.2 SATA > 2.5" SATA mSATA. That being said mSATA is still more than capable. Been using one on my M4600 and have had 0 complaints. I wouldnt forgo it if your considering putting the existing drive into the ODD position. If no plans to resuse the old drive as storage then no harm in getting a 2.5" SATA SSD drive.

Hope that helps

Fletch510k likes this.
  3. Fletch510k

Fletch510k Newbie

Reputations:

Thank you very much for your reply!

I think I am going to go with a 250gb mSata SSD and use that to boot Windows 7 and use the HDD as a storage for files etc. Hopefully, it keeps the temp down on it

Fletch

4. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Just make sure you dont get the 840 EVO. It has a hardware fault that made its speeds on old files slower than HDD speeds. I dont know if that issue extends to the mSATA variant but it would be something to look into if its an option your considering.