M14x/M17xR3/M18x - Wireless HD/SiBEAM discussion thread

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by BatBoy, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JL23

JL23 Newbie

Reputations:
    How much was it if I may ask, just to see if it's really worth getting. And is it pretty easy to install by yourself? It just sucks that the option wasn't available when we bought the machines because it would have been cheaper. Thanks for the reply in advance.

JL

2. mdbuehl

mdbuehl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well you have to buy the receiver... so thats 99 dollars... I've been quoted 65.99 for the card and 79.99 for the antenna. so really i use it and its worth it. I use it more for streaming movies then gaming with it though. Install was pretty straight forward.

3. JL23

JL23 Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm so sorry for asking so many questions but this is the last one. I've been reading everywhere that the antenna is pretty hard to route through the display and I was just wondering if you've found any videos or guides to install this because I can't find any tutorials online and I'm really new to opening up laptops so I'm pretty scared to open it up incase I break anything or don't know how to put it back together. Thank you so much for you help.

JL

4. mdbuehl

mdbuehl Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I could make a video, however I have a m17x r4. I don't see how its hard though. I routed it the same way the wifi cable is... lol its pretty simple.

5. GeorgeTKE

GeorgeTKE Newbie

Reputations:
    I don't know if this is common, but I had zero problems with my SiBeam WiHD until today. I play most of my games on my computer using my tv, but when I went to start a game, there was no sound coming from the TV. It used to produce sound from both the computer and the TV until today. I can get sound from ym TV, but I have to go into my sound settings and make my TV the default sound device. Is this a setting I accidentally turned on or what? Please help. Thanks.
    P.S. M14x R1
    windows 7 home 64bit
    Inttel i7
    nVidia GTM 555

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    GeorgeTKE, did any Windows Updates coincide with your SiBeam issue? I asked because lately it seems Windows Updates have been messing up a number of things. Try using System Restore to roll your system back to a date that you know for certain it was working. If that fixes the problem, disable Windows Updates. Unless you're scared a remote hacker is going to take control of your PC and turn it into a denial of service zombie or start another world war, only update Windows when you need to.

7. bweslake

bweslake Newbie

Reputations:
    There doesn't seem to be much variety in these products.

Anyways. i have an M18x_r1 with SiBeam and a m17x_r3 without.

So i was thinking of going with the zyxel kit which will accomodate the console gaming systems and hdtv box from shaw as well as the m18x. but what are my options for the m17x?

is there an external transmitter which is nice and small which anyone can recommend?

or would i have to use either the bulky 4-port transmitter or install an internal card?

Thanks in advance!

8. macdaddy8000

macdaddy8000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guys i have an issue i hope you can help me with.......Since i had my AW taken apart and installed the new CPU and tripple pipe heatsink my WirelessHD connection doesnt get past 40% in video link, before it was allways a solid 100%. It works fine, but never go higher than the 40%, i have tried to reinstall the WIHD Controller but its still the same, can anyone explain why i have this issue?

-MacDaddy8000

9. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Reputations:
    Maybe some obstruction where the SiBeam antenna is. Do you recall if that part was disassembled?

10. macdaddy8000

macdaddy8000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I had to disconnect a wire from the WIHD card to get the screen off, i could try to check if the wire is properly routed thru the chassis.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.