M14x/M17xR3/M18x - Wireless HD/SiBEAM discussion thread

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by BatBoy, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joecait

joecait Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I don't know how much HDMI cables are, but expensive Best Buy was advertising one for 39.99 or so for 10 ft this week. (I did buy a 6ft one for $1 the other day).

I ordered the WirelessHD for my wife's M14x and for my needs, I think it's not a bad option to get...If you had to get a 30ft HDMI 1.4 cable, what do those run at? You have to add that cost into the comparison...

As mentioned the Vizio kit is $199 at Amazon and could be used for many devices.

Since I'm hoping to get the M18x as well, that'd be both of us being able to use WirelessHD.

2. Raphael01

Raphael01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    All of the big retailers sell cables with a huge markup. I get mine from monoprice.com. Same quality cables but at a more reasonable price. You should be able to get a 30 foot HDMI cable from them for less then $30. Even with shipping its much better than what Best Buy would charge.

3. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    amazon basic hdmi cables aren't too expensive. got 2 6' ones on sale a while back for like $20. have worked flawlessly.

also recently got a 6' off of slick deals for $1 shipped :) works just as well

4. JCrichton

JCrichton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'll echo this. Monoprice for HDMI cables is the way to go. Excellent prices and professional quality cables.

5. Comrade Ynot

Comrade Ynot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    quick and easy

WiDi depends on your intergrated gpu, so if you have a great gpu, dont expect to output stuff it is running on.

Wireless HD gives you the option to use your graphics card, so gaming on the big screen is gonna be much smoother/better.

The current IGP with the new SandyBridge chips are amazing and can handle most current games pretty decently, but not to the extent a real dedicated card will.

You need to decide what you need the wireless display function to do, if you are just throwing websites up, or watching homemade videos, or movies, then widi will suit you fine.

However if you plan to throw a gaming session of a graphic intense game, then wireless hd is your solution.

This is why you see the Wireless HD on the Alienware, because its designed more for gaming or streaming blu ray quality content, where as XPS line is pushed with the widi option.

Alienware knew widi had its limitations on the intel gpu on the board, so the wireless hd gives hardcore gamers a way to stream video and game content lag free up on a big screen.

Is it expensive? yes, will the prices drop? yes, I expect so. Do you need the vizio wireless hd kit from dell? not really if you can find a tv that supports wireless hd streaming already built in and you will start seeing that.

widi is a more practical and cheaper alternative to wireless hd.

I personally got the vizio wireless kit because I am gonna be tossing my ipad on the big screen along with a few other devices. It was exactly what I needed and wanted and was willing to pay for it.

*Just a note, for those with the Alienware M17 R3 with the 3d screen, you cant use widi, so wireless hd will prove an excellent solution for future orders*

6. NYC Drifter

NYC Drifter Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I opted out of Internal Wireless HD. I think that I could get more use out of a separate setup so I could use it with other devices. Might be nice to have, but I wanted to keep my M18x fit and trim.:rolleyes:

On 2nd order, I got it.

7. JCrichton

JCrichton Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can still do this by getting the kit from either Dell or Amazon.com. The internal card just saves on clutter. :)

8. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  9. Smooth_J

Smooth_J Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was told by BatBoy (thank you for the redirect on my question) that I wouldn't have the antenna in the m18x for this option if I decide to purchase it later on. Where does the antenna mount to if I need to run one?

10. Nathan Graves

Nathan Graves Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there any technical reason why this new feature WiHD is not offered in Europe?? Didnt find it on the UK Store, nor German or Austrian store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.