M14x/M17xR3/M18x - Wireless HD/SiBEAM discussion thread

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by BatBoy, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTOverath

JTOverath Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also the Intel only works with the integrated video, if your machine doesn't have it or you want to output with the dedicated you would need the wirelessHD.

2. laststop311

laststop311 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ohhhhhhh ok so the intel widi is basically for watching video or mirroring ur desktop

the wireless sibeam hdmi uses discrete card and is for gaming.

hmmmm 300 extra dollars just so i can game on a tv without using an hdmi cord too rich for my blood

ps: wow jt u really love buying alienware laptops eh

3. WarChild

WarChild Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There is the $99 option for the internal card, all you need is a receiver for your display device. The $300 option looks to be both a transmitter and a receiver. Not sure why you would want that bulky transmitter when an internal card is an option.

But I am having trouble finding just the receiver portion of the WirelessHD setup.

4. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I've bought a push2tv 1000 @ bestbuy for 99$ and used it with the dedicated intel 3000. Yes, it works with little working at the software and somehow I used it with the laptop in another room then where the TV was. They were maybe @ 10meters distance from each other (with a dry wall in between) and the signal was full on the receiver. I guess it has a good distance in using it. And yes, you cannot do games, you can only watch movies at 720p and probably do some presentation if needed. For me is more then enough 17" system for gaming and when I want to watch a movie from the blu ray on a large TV, I can just sincronize it with the push2tv. Nice... When the wireless HD adapter will be available for m17x r3, I would probably buy it...

5. exocet956

exocet956 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I picked up the push2tv 2000 from best buy for the exact same price. Maybe just my store had it but hopefully they didn't stick you with the 1000 if they had the 2000 in stock. It would not surprise me but it would be a bit underhanded in my book.

I have both the 1000 and 2000 and having the 2000 is way different. 1080p, hdcp, 5ghz (claimed i cant actually tell), and most importantly it can actually do extended desktop so mirrored isn't the only option. It seems also to run cooler. The 1000 actually seemed quite warm for a device that does not actually do the video decoding. Most likely the lack of ventilation holes.

edit -- btw did you have any problems getting it to work with the ati drivers installed mine only really wanted to work when the intel was the only video card with drivers installed. It may have something to do with my clean install and trying to install amd reference mobility drivers and intel reference drivers.

6. laststop311

laststop311 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yea sandybridge enabled the widi to bump up to 1080p with hdcp.

it's honestly a simple choice. if you really really want to be able to wireless game on your tv then get it. If watching movies and videos and using ur desktop on tv wirelessly is all you really care about dont waste the money the intel widi will serve you.

I dunno is it that big a deal to run an hdmi cable from the laptop to a tv? the wireless hdmi is a nifty feature but its more like a parlor trick its really not that big a deal to hook up a cable not worth 100 + receiver cost + additional receivers for every other tv you want to use it on just because you are too lazy to plug a cable in

but rich people that love to spend money by all means go for it. Buy me 1 too ;)

7. exocet956

Reputations:
    I actually travel alot for work and the Widi was the only way to get A/V out. I use it for the non Hdtv's in the Hotels i stay at. I know its terrible but i have tried all manner of adapters to get legacy video out and i have at least spent as much over the years in other failed attempts to get a/v out from these "modern" laptops. 85% percent of the hotels i stay at still use CRT tv's. Yea it may not be Hdtv resolution but 20-30" crt is better than watching it on a 17" laptop lcd from across the room. Plus it makes showing presentations easier because no long cable to the projector.

For some reason everyone in my family still clings to crt tv's. I guess they will keep them until they die. I can at least show my pictures with out having to hook my camera to the tv and have to stand next to it the whole time.

And for the record i do use a 15' hdmi for the few hotels that have decided LCD tvs are a good investment/feature

8. Cwaz

Cwaz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    From the people who already received there systems with WiDi, would

you recommend the upgrade?

9. exocet956

Reputations:
    The Push2tv 2000 is 99.99 plus tax at best buy plus he cost of the intel wireless from dell. I would say its a cheap solution if you were already getting the intel wireless. The Sibeam transmitter is 99 upgrade but the vizio kit with transmitter is a $289 upgrade. So from a cost perspective the intel is cheaper solution.

I was planning on the intel wireless from the beginning i only found out about widi capability afterwards. So i saw it as a cheap value add on to a already sweet laptop.

It works for me. but my choice was made for me because dell decided to have the early M17xR3 not include the necessary antenna for the Sibeam transmitter.

10. mloney87

mloney87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Vizio kit is $199 @ amazon. Also remember this is not exclusively for laptop use it will run any other HDMI device you have. So you could use your Blu-ray, Xbox, or whatever else wirelessly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.