M14x - Linux

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by TheMadMan, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Well, I used to have linux as my main OS before I bought my m14x last Nov 11. I'm now interested in dual booting.

I have done a bit of googling and found that the m14x has problems with linux, specifically with the optimus technology. I have read a thread on these forums (I think it was specifically to do with ubuntu) but the thread hasn't been updated for a while and reading the thread still left me with the feeling that, ubuntu at least, still doesn't work properly.

So, my question(s) are:

1. Have any of you forum members successfully installed a linux OS out of the box and managed to get the OS up and running with absolutely no tweaking?

2. If the answer to the above is yes - does the Alien FX work? If so, did it work without tweaking?

3. I am not really interested in Ubuntu as I don't like the unity interface. As such I would like to hear from people who have successfully installed anything but Ubuntu.

Thanks.

2. madmantm

madmantm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Read my answers in bold :) and good luck. Also, with new kernels 3.0+, the hardware should be supported, so go ahead and try any new distros that you might like.

3. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ^^ thanks for the reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.