M14x Heatsink Mod

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by some guy, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. some guy

some guy Modding Addict

Reputations:
    actually completed this a while ago, was waiting for a friends input on the design before going public. but to make a long story short, just now posting about it.

the temps under load are much lower due to the secondary fan output. without the secondary fan output this mod is useless. reason being, heat soak takes place on the extra added copper and the heat energy only slowly escapes thru radiation... since no air flow can remove the heat quickly, what ends up happening is the fan runs constantly because the extra copper soaks up some of the heat energy it just holds onto it keeping everything attached to the copper warm. the fan moves air over the sock heatsink fins but it has nearly no effect because the heat energy is actually being stored in the new copper not the heat pipes.

so what the secondary fan output does is allow about 30-40% of the air to be directed over the new copper and exits out of the vent right under the RAM slots. you can actually feel the warm air come out when the fan spins. :thumbsup:

whats awesome about this mod is the stock function is not affected in anyway and it just runs cooler! no special maintenance or handling is required and all ports, panels, etc still retain there stock function. :D

PARTS!

[​IMG]

Cut outs marked

[​IMG]

Unneeded material removed

[​IMG]

Test fit

[​IMG]

Cleaned and scuffed with wire wheel

[​IMG]

Lapped and polished

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hours of cutting and grinding later...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Secondary fan output

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see here where the secondary airflow is directed

[​IMG]

Some of the secondary air flow hits the GFX memory on the back side of the MoBo as well

[​IMG]

More clearance was needed

[​IMG]

Painted

[​IMG]

Finished!

[​IMG]

FINAL PRODUCT: http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware-m14x/702068-m14x-heatsink-mod-2.html#post9056402

2. Crazy Jay

Crazy Jay Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is Great !! Good Job

Do you have the Temperatures of the CPU and GPU of the Before and After Mod results ??

3. shnarf

shnarf Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Very slick Bro. It takes some real balls to break out the dremel on an R2. I'd also like to see the before and after temps. I thought about doing something like this when i first saw a similar less involved mod a while ago. I probably would go for it if it was my out of warranty R1, but my R2 stays pretty cool after a good IC diamond re-paste.
    have you noticed if much less air comes out of the stock exhaust? I had questions about how the fan pressure would work with another outlet. though I can see how without it, the heat would probably just stay put right on top of the chips, so its definitely necessary for the mod. again, nice work!

4. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's a good idea what you did, but you may have a lot of heat in the middle now and may or may not melt the plastic bottom cover in time. There was a reason why Alienware didn't leave that open, so that the fan sucks all that heat and throws it out. You would probably need to make some modding on the back cover as well and have it kept on a good laptop cooler, in my opinion...

5. some guy

some guy Modding Addict

Reputations:
    thank you guys. :)

i hope this will help a few that are having major issues with temps after a repaste. personally i didnt have major temp issues but i wanted to lower my temps in general to prolong the hardware life.

i however did experience some throttling at a point or 2 during the summer with gaming and also wasnt thrilled about the fan noise while just surfing the web. so these where the 2 main reasons i did this mod.

as far as before and after temps i did actually take a video of before temps while playing crysis and also duning a IntelBurn run. sadly they were both taken on a phone that died and im not 100% sure if i had backed up the video/pics at this time but ill do some digging. are there any test you would like me to do for proof of concept?

as far as fan noise, its is a bit more quiet. reason being that the percentage of air flow directed out of the secondary ouput removes static pressure from the fan in general and reduces the force on the air passing thru the fins of the heat exchanger at any given RPM. not to mention the secondary output has very little resistance (which is what causes most or the fan noise)

no further modding is needed. i can better explain.

the bottom cover is cool to the touch. in fact its cooler than the palm rest on the HDD side. at any given time the area in question is always cooler than it was from factory. reason being, in the stock config the fan does not draw any air out from inside the laptop. it simply goes in thru the fan intake and then directly out the back of the laptop. the only area affected by the airflow pattern is the heat exchanger side of the heatsink assembly. all the heat radiating off the heat pipes, etc remains inside the laptop and can only slowly creep away out of any holes open to atmosphere or absorb into other materials inside the laptop till they reach heatsoak (mobo, aluminum casing, plastic casing, etc).

with the fan on, the hot air is moved out of the laptop because of the air moment from the secondary fan output and escapes out of the vent hole located by the RAM slots. where before the heat energy just hung around.

with the fan off (CPU temp under 45-50c) the surface of the newly added copper never gets as hot as the surface of the OG heat pipes for a few reasons. 1. more surface area but heat energy load remains the same. 2. (and most important in this situation) the energy build up will heat up the CPU/GPU side of the copper well before the side with the heat sinks. so the side with the heatsinks will always be cooler (true with any properly functioning heatsink). so if the CPU is reading 50c (right before the fan kicks on) the temp of the outer surface of the heatsink is likely less than 50c. in my tests it was never above 33c. so technically cooler than my 7200 rpm HDD.

6. ejohnson

ejohnson Is that lemon zest?

Reputations:
    Looks great! I really need to get cracking on my cooling mods too. Just got to finish my x51 cooling system first.

7. some guy

some guy Modding Addict

Reputations:
    thanks man. my priorities will soon be changing as well. im sure my time to mod and tinker will be soon reduced to nothing... lol.

i was seriously going to go the 2nd fan route that we had talked about. it would be more idea IMO but it got all complicated with finding a 2nd functional fan header and im not sure how the exhaust ports would have turned out due to my limited tools ( basic drill & dremel). not to mention since this is my only "real" gaming PC now, down time was also a issue.

8. Quix Omega

Quix Omega Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What sort of temperature difference did you see at load after modding?

9. ejohnson

ejohnson Is that lemon zest?

Reputations:
    Did you try using that fan heading I showed you a few months back?

There is no plug, but there are solder pads for it.

10. Naelo

Naelo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is awesome!
    Too bad I can't handle such materials myself.

The question is, why didn't Dell / AW think of such things? I'd gladly
    pay 100 bucks more if the stock cooling system would be decent...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.