1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M14x Battlefield 3 Perfomance & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by gamba66, Sep 28, 2011.

1. tyler27

tyler27 Notebook Consultant

yes but with the modded bios you can overclock much further then before and unlock more potential from this card

2. CGSDR

CGSDR Notebook Deity

So is it safe? Because according to Dell, they said using custom BIOS is not cover in the standard warranty nor the accidental warranty.

3. tyler27

id say its safe, it runs stable, just dont let it get too hot, ive seen my card hit 85 degrees Celsius, but it was sitting on the couch and the fan was blocked, my fault, and it still ran without errors, it usually sits at 77 or less in a game but as always use at your own risk, it works for me as long as you dont block the fan

4. gameoverhaha

gameoverhaha Newbie

please tell me where did u get the custom bios. and if u overclock gpu that much, will the cpu still maintain a safe temp? thx

5. RTips

RTips Notebook Enthusiast

So, I just got my m14x a week ago and I have not been experiencing those high temperatures. After 5 hours of game play i max at 56 c. I do keep my laptop lifted at the back by a wallet and my room temp is 65 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm just wondering if this is what you all experienced when you first got it and it degraded over time.

6. tyler27

56 is absolutely fine, hell mine hits 77 in game, all is well

as for the custom bios go here [Mod] Voltage increase Nvidia GT 555M
    Thank the people who modded this bios, not me, and use at your own risk although its pretty safe

7. Kristofer

Kristofer Notebook Guru

I think they have made some hardware changes as well as software changes to the m14x recently. Mine is also a week old and even with overclocking mine runs much cooler than most are reporting.

8. L1qu1d

L1qu1d Notebook Evangelist

How did you get it to run like this? I've seen videos with ppl running it at 900p with a slightly higher clocked video card that could barely reach 30 fps at times and the settings were only set to high. It was mostly between 20-25 fps:S

If you can get 30-40 @ 1080p on Ultra thats impressive.

Even with a 580 GTX http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56yuFXdYtNU&feature=related it can struggle at times to low 40s. And this is a card that is 5 times to 10 times stronger:S

9. mittens14x

mittens14x Notebook Consultant

i pre-installed Battlefield 3, and created a desktop shortcut. but whenever i press on it, the "Do you want to allow the following program to make changed to you computer?" thing pops up. im guessing everytime i play this game i have to press okay, which is really annoying. i STILL WANT TO enable User Account Control for other programs, but i just want to disable it for BF3. any ideas how? thanks

10. mittens14x

mittens14x Notebook Consultant

BTW, just because im so smart, pressing left control, left alt, and S at the same time brings up a box that shows ur FPS and settings. no more fraps and stuff :)

11. EzraPostAcid

EzraPostAcid Newbie

So, i dont wanna bother or anything im just somewhat bad with all this..

im planning to get a m14x in the next couple of weeks but not sure if this is good enough to run bf3

PROCESSOR : Intel® Core™ i7 2760QM 2.4GHz (3.5GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)
    OPERATING SYSTEM : Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
    WIRELESS CARDS : Intel® Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2
    MEMORY : 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
    VIDEO CARD : 3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology
    HARD DRIVE : 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
    LCD PANEL : 14.0" High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight
    WIRELESSHD OR MOBILE BROADBAND : None
    INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE : 8x SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Slot Load Optical Drive
    SOUND OPTIONS : Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

if anyone could let me know it'd be greatly appreciated, thank you.

12. tyler27

all the m14x laptops are nearly the same you dont need to break down the stats but yes it will run the game just fine

13. CGSDR

CGSDR Notebook Deity

But it would be better if you post your actual game setting, with average framerate. However in the beta, my M14x run it at Auto, which I think it is somewhere between High and Ultra which give me about 25fps ~ 40fps. and the GPU clock is 750/1500/1100 (Core/Shader/Mem) and got around 70C ~ 75C (I got a cooler).

The beta version I use MSI Afterburner, while for the retail I will use EVGA Precision. I will post the setting, fps and the GPU setting again when I got the game on the 27th which is the AU/NZ release.

14. BlackSabs

BlackSabs Notebook Consultant

Don't waste $100 on the 3gb GT 555. The 1.5GB version will give you the same performance.

15. Lancer91

Lancer91 Notebook Consultant

BF3 Performance:
    M14x I7-2630qm (turbo disabled)
    Nvidia 555mGT 1.5 @ 750/1000
    1366x768 native
    SSD
    4gb ram

Game
    Set game to custum.
    Set global preset to ultra ((all items))
    Disable AF/AA
    Disable SSAO/HBAO
    Turn shadows to medium

FPS 40+ on Caspian Border with full 64 players
    Looks amazing

Not posting screenshots so dont ask. Just try it for yourself.

Driver is 285.62 whql

16. zephir

zephir Notebook Deity

2630QM (Throttlestop running, TB disabled), 6GB RAM, 1.5GB GT555M (OC to 750/1500/1080) w/ 285.62, 1600x900 screen res

All settings high, SSAO, 1600x900 native, 40-45 FPS in SP. Will try MP later in the day.

Overall I'm pretty amazed at what this 14 incher is capable of.

17. gabswiss

gabswiss Notebook Consultant

Help! Played the game a little yesterday and everything was fine and today I tried to play again and I have a problem with the floor texture. It's all transparent!
    What might be going wrong?

18. CpHaAiOnS

CpHaAiOnS Notebook Enthusiast

Do you have the newest nvidia driver? That was my problem. I installed 285.62 and now I'm good to go :)

19. EzraPostAcid

EzraPostAcid Newbie

For sure thanks, and thanks to everyone else for helping me out, i'll be ordering my m14x later on this week, can't wait :D

20. xApollo11x

xApollo11x Newbie

Question. Did you overclock your GPU at all? I usually overclock when playing graphic intensive games.