1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M14x Battlefield 3 Perfomance & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by gamba66, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Derek@XoticPC

Derek@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That sounds just about right. Not bad temps either. The 650 isn't a top end card, but pretty powerful for the size of laptops it's used in. 30-35 fps on BF3 on a 14" laptop is pretty amazing.

2. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's pretty good temperatures for a 35 degrees Celsius environment, mine tops out at 84 for the CPU and 65 for the GPU in a 25 C environment.

3. megafire455

megafire455 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Are you experiencing any problem with these settings or are you afraid that you will run into problems?

4. crazygabe

crazygabe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't understand why are so many people getting these high temperatures , I monitor my CPU ingame and never get past 75C(didn't do any thermal repaste,and have Turbo Boost OFF), I just put my win7 case under the laptop and get much lower temperatures.By the way, why are you getting so low FPS , I with my GT555m get like your fps on ULTRA(28-38 FPS).I just posted this to let you know there might be a problem with your laptop. Have a nice day ;)

5. BetaFire

BetaFire Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have an m14x R1 with a GT 555M, and I refuse to believe you get those frames per second running on all ultra settings. Unless you have a massive overclock ans are running it at less than native resolution (1600x900) that is simply not possible.

OP: I get better frames than that with a GT 555M myself, however. I use a mix of medium and ultra settings at 1600x900 resolution and run about 35 frames per second. Yours should be able to outperform mine quite easily.

6. aj.jain

aj.jain Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Like betafire, i think i should either be getting better fps or lower temps!
    Because my system isnt being used fully yet.

7. rrm111

rrm111 Newbie

Reputations:
    Turn off TurboBoost, and run BF3 at high.

8. mortiky

mortiky Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey Guys,

I'm getting decent FPS (40-50) with a slight overclock and mostly high settings (ultra textures and effects but medium shadows and little to no anti-aliasing).

However, every once in a while I am getting what seem to be lag spikes. Maybe a few times a minute. However, my ping isn't moving much.
    I have checked my temperatures and the GPU is around 65 celcius. I have read that the 650M has a voltage drop at 65, could that the cause of these low fps spikes?
    If so, how can I get around that?

Edit: Also, I'm getting texture flickering when I am in sniper-zoom mode. I've read that this might be a common problem, but do any of you guys get it too?

9. VirtualMayhem

VirtualMayhem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am impressed that the 650m can drive around 40fps on the 900p screen. I play bf3 the most of any PC game - would you rate your experience on the m14x as tolerable or even more so for on the go bf3?

10. Ricey67

Ricey67 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

Been playing BF3 offline, but have recently purchased the DLC's and have been trying to play online, problem is that my system seems to freeze and crash after about 5 to 10 mins of play.

I have a M14X R1, i7 2860 2.5GHz, 8 Gig RAM, its not overclocked or anything, and I have the Nvidia 306.23 drivers loaded.

I have good performance offline with BF3, just seems to be online, tried Auto, Low settings, and trying different screen resolutions, but same freeze / crash happens, times are inconsistent, somtimes 10mins of play, otherimes, 1 to 2 mins.

Thanks in advance

Ricey

11. Wiggleson

Wiggleson Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do I turn off TurboBoost? Sorry if I missed it. I seem to be getting lag spikes and hoping this will help!

I'm currently building and ordering parts for my new build, which will use a GTX 670 GPU.

Laptops don't cut it with me anymore, lol.

EDIT: I have the R1 if that helps. :thumbsup:

12. CGSDR

CGSDR Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Press F2 when you start your laptop or during the first Alien Head you see when you first start your laptop but you'll have to be quick for that, then after you press F2, there would be a flash then the BIOS will display, the Turbo Boost will be in the Advance tab in the end of the first part, it would say something like - CPU Turbo Boost [ENABLE], press Enter to change it to Disable.

13. Panduhsaur

Panduhsaur Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That completely depends on what errors you're getting

Also, does anyone have the frames with 306.23 nvidia patch?

14. Panduhsaur

Panduhsaur Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry Double post

15. aeroxmax4

aeroxmax4 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    sorry guys the noob question, is it important to upgrade the nvidia drivers?
    i have a R1 with the original driver, should i upgrade to the newest 306.23?

16. DJWoX

DJWoX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Which driver version currently is the best (gives best performance, without crashes) for M14x R1 running Win7 64bit?