1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M14x, and Extreme Temperatures!?

Discussion in 'Alienware 14 and M14x' started by lilpsychobuddy, Nov 16, 2011.

1. residualvoltage

residualvoltage Notebook Deity

Nomadjilc you probably had a decent paste job from factory and temps only rose with dust build up and was alleviated when it was cleared... thats how these systems should be. Those above with bad temps even after clearing vents the thermal material is probably uneven or excessive or opposite not enough... its not M14x guys its inconsistent delivery of a product... all systems would be effected if it was M14x alone... Its certain people have received M14x with not so good paste jobs its that simple :( its on i5 and i7 but the i7 do run hotter... either way those who took it upon themselves to repaste and did so properly have seen from 5c to 15c difference on gpus and cpus. other Alienware laptops have same situation. 1 out of 3 factory paste jobs were ultra cool other one was average and one was extra hot... Out of me repasting twice once came out as good as the best factory paste job and anothr just came out average. Its not easy to get a perfect paste job even for the employees at Dell and Alienware... go to the source guys... if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself... take some pics and evidence of the excessive heat and even show throttling if needed or thermal shutdown (dont use furmark but real games or apps you wont get anywhere furmark isnt a proof of stability) and report and show this evidence to a tech support and get your systems worked on. this doesnt mean a new gpu, cpu or motherboard is needed... It only means that they need to have the thermal material reapplied. Goodluck guys either take it into your own hands or take it up with Alienware support... no other real choices and lower speeds or what your system is running shouldnt be necessary to keep temps down you do that only to optimize speed.

2. solrac13

solrac13 Notebook Evangelist

lOL taking the fans out means tearing apart the entire computer, M14x aren't assembled the same way the M17x

So the only way we can clean our one and only fan is with compress air, every time i need to do so (every 2 months) i run to the bicycle shop and use there air compressed gun to clean everything i can on my laptop

3. Tedstery

Tedstery Newbie

I was wondering if my temperatures are okay, without playing games and just surfing the net my CPU is 64 degrees and GPU 61 degrees. When I play games the highest it has ever gone is 84. I think it may be the hot weather at the moment causing a little higher temperature but i've never seen my laptop in the low 50's unless the charge is unplugged.

And my M14x is R1. I also have a cooling pad