m14x 14" vs 15" 3D Vision & 120hz

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ia_, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ia_

ia_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey everybody! So my old Asus g1sn-x1 laptop died suddenly after 2 1/2 years (motherboard or gpu dead) and I'm in the market...

Thinking either the m14x or, if it exists, a 15" laptop with 120hz screen (for 3D, and frankly, because 120hz is just better) and > 540m gpu. Seems like there's a hole in the market but maybe I'm just missing the right links.

1) What is your budget?
    Sub $1500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook?
    In the USA over the holiday season. Could do EU since I live there, but everything is more expensive.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    b. Dislike: Well my Asus laptop died suddenly... but was good until then. Not sure if I hold a grudge.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    With a 2 year mb-fried warranty.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Carrying it to the local cafe, reading pdfs from arxiv, programming, some gaming, occasional 3d movie.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes. Probably mostly Quake Live. Maybe the new Tribes, occasional Steam game or SC2.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    I could deal with 2, more would be better. I don't know what I'm missing.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is ok.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    No O/S is better, but Win 64 is fine.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.
    Any normal resolution is fine. 120hz is a big selling point. I'd get the m14x if it had 120hz. I plugged my old laptop into a CRT just to get a smooth 120hz screen for Quake. I don't really play much anymore but I'd still like to get beyond this. Plus 3D is cool.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Don't care.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not a big deal.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    January 2012.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2+ years.

2. Notebook Gamer

Notebook Gamer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's only a handful of 15 inch laptops with 3d screens, and there aren't any with high end gpu's. Asus demo'd a g53sx with a 3d screen (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Re...eforce-GTX-560M-G53SX-Sandy-Bridge,12854.html), but I don't know if it will hit the market any time soon....

If you go into the 17 inch category, there is the Alienware m17x and Sager 8170(clevo p170hm), both of which can be upgraded with a 3d screen and support high end gaming cards.

3. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah not many 15 inch notebooks have 3D. I think an older ASUS does, but its parts are probably outdated by now (I think its like the G51 with a Core 2 Duo or something). I have the m14x and highly recommend it

4. RiddlelddiR

RiddlelddiR Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think your best bet would be a Clevo P170HM (Sager NP8170). Comes stock with a GTX 560M (which can be upgraded to a 580m or 6990m) and has a 3D 120Hz screen available. It is a 17 incher though. Clevos also have pretty sturdy build quality, and they are priced much more reasonably than Alienwares, and with better specs. The best GPU you can get on an m14x is a GT 555m I believe, which is quite a bit worse than the 8170's stock card.

Link to an 8170 from a reseller: Sager NP8170 - Gaming Laptops

5. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oops double post, sorry!

6. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Lets not start another 8 page thread. Both are near the same price but the M14x is much smaller with better battery while still maintaing good performance. The Sagers is alot bigger (17 vs 14? cmon) and battery life is scarce but with great performance and 3D. The m14x is a very portable machine that can still play all the games you listed max with good battery life (~5.5 hours). If you go 17 inches though, it appears you can get 3D and great performance OP (in case you wanted to try games like Battlefield 3 and Skyrim with 32x AA at 1080p maxed or something they should handle it lol)

7. ia_

ia_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Damn. I think I should either get the m14x or wait, but I only have a 1 month window to get something in the US.

I'm skeptical of the Asus G53SX with "glasses free" 3D. Might not have the 120hz lcd and only works for 1 person at a time, so I can't get an extra pair of glasses to watch a 3D movie with a friend. Was the G53SX "3D Vision" Nvidia model ever released? Seems only the non-3D model is showing up.

8. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Review Asus G53JW 3D Gaming Notebook (GTX 460M) - Notebookcheck.net Reviews

Seems like it's available. Only thing is the resolution sucks (1366x768 is bad on 15.6 inches), and apparently the GPU has a hard time doing 3D anyways (performance wise). I saw a demonstration of how it works once and it was pretty damn cool. If they could put a 3D 1080p screen in an 18 inch computer with dual GPUs like the m18x Id buy one lol

Btw, it DOES use glasses

"A particularly prominent feature is the 3D capable display, made possible by the Nvidia shutter technology, also called Nvidia 3D Vision. This requires a 120 hertz monitor, that essentially displays two distorted images one after the other, that are alternated between the left and right eyes using synchronized shutter glasses."

9. Notebook Gamer

Notebook Gamer Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't want to start a huge flame war between the two, but to be fair, Sager does have a 15 inch model of the 8170, which is only a sliver heavier than the m14x but double the graphics power. The m14x does ofcourse have a backlit keyboard, smaller footprint, and battery life.

I think the m17x, which can also support 3d, is a bit better than the 8170 from Sager though.

Sager/clevo has already released the specs of their new 17 inch beast, eta early next year, which can support a desktop cpu, dual gpu's, can be outfitted with a 3d screen, and will be their first consumer model with a backlit keyboard :p

10. Gearsguy

Gearsguy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We had like an 8 page thread about this the other day lol. We eventually came to the conclusion that:
    -M14x isnt that much less powerful than a stock 15 inch sager as it can be overclocked to stock 460M performance, and the 560M is only 10% faster than the 460M stock
    -Battery is twice that of the Sager
    -Much smaller
    -Can be both a long battery portable computer and then plug in to be a good gaming machine

-Sager will give excellent performance
    -Its quite a bit thicker and heavier than the m14x (almost the same size as my G72GX)
    -Acts more of a portable DTR
    So the m14x and Sager are pretty different, and then the mod finally locked the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.