1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M1330 Display Issue (Vertical Lines on Reboot & Crash & Vertical Lines)

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by rocketscientist, Jan 4, 2008.

1. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Today I started having an issue with my M1330 display after having the system for 4-6 months. When I was working (running lovely Vista-Hell) today the screen just went black, then vertical colored lines started filling up the entire black screen and the computer crashed. When I reboot the same thing happens on start-up until the login-screen appears. Any ideas? I haven't updated any drivers since I got the system. Is my video card on its way to the grave?

Thanks in advance. I will update the video drivers to see if that helps.

2. Nalada

Nalada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  3. jaycee

jaycee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine went dead past weekend. I got my M1330 in September

It overheated a few times and then it died.

Ask Dell for a motherboard replacement. Mine is coming today.

Attached Files:

4. SirWells

SirWells Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just happened to mine too! What gives? On hold with support now, anybody else have this happen to them? Have you notified Dell?

5. imzomnia

imzomnia Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It might overheat issue. Mine is starting to act up this past week. What is your BIOS version?

6. SirWells

Reputations:
    A07, flashed the BIOS a few weeks back...

7. imzomnia

Reputations:
    I went back to A06 and I have no problem so far.

8. SirWells

Reputations:
    How do you go back to A06? I can't even boot now...

9. imzomnia

Reputations:
    Did you let the laptop to cool down? I could re-boot after the laptop cool down or kept on turning on and off. I don't think I am going to use A07 BIOS.

10. SirWells

Reputations:
    I let it cool down, uninstalled the new nvidia drivers I had downloaded from Dell, currently reinstalling the drivers that came on the driver CD they gave me.

How can I go back to A06 bios? Do you think that's really the issue here?

11. imzomnia

Reputations:
  12. SirWells

Reputations:
    Thanks for the link. I downgraded back to A06, even though I was warned that downgrading your BIOS is not recommended. I really don't know what to make of this. I formated and clean installed using all the new drivers that were posted on Dell's site for the M1330. Everything ran fine, and then the crazy lines and driver screw ups began again. It started on my M1330 even before I formated and clean installed, I figured that by starting over fresh, my issue would go away. I've had the A07 BIOS in there for a while now. Is my motherboard going? Should I ask for a replacement M1330? I use my laptop every day for work, I can't have this thing going out of commission! Ugggh...

13. imzomnia

Reputations:
    You can call Dell and report it. Dell will probably send a tech to replace the mother board. I was using A07 BIOS with the nvidia 156.87 driver. It was working for a while until I got the problem with the screen. Vista reported memory error. I am running A06 now and it is stable so far.

14. ellianth

ellianth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those of you who have this problem with the lines. Does your screen make a buzzing noise when you turn the brightness down? I need to know if i should be expecting this problem any time soon :p.

15. SirWells

Reputations:
    Since going back to A06 and the nvidia drivers that came with my M1330, everything seems to have gone back to good. The only thing is Vista does seem a bit sluggish. Do you think using the updated drivers and applications off the Dell site for the M1330 may do this? Am I better off just installing the drivers and applications that came on my M1330 when shipped? I feel like I'm using a machine that can go up in flames at any second!

16. Nalada

Nalada Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    When I had the graphics failure my motherboard was fixed by Dell. The replacement motherboard was a A01 with (I think) A02 BIOS. I upgraded it to A07 BIOS on the basis that if there is a heat issue then the later the BIOS the more likely it is fixed.
    Since then I have played Pacific Fighters quite a lot (the heaviest use I make of cpu and graphics) and the problem has not re-occured.

One thing I pay more attention to now is making sure nothing is blocking the air vents when I am using anything intensive. I guess using the machine on a bed or having it accidentally still running in it's bag might be ways that the thing could get fried. Just having a bunch off cables running along the back of the machine might also restrict the airflow a bit.

17. darthsat

darthsat Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    SirWells, I had pretty much the same problem about a month ago. I would have strange graphical errors while doing random tasks in vista. For instance, all of a sudden, certain colors would be stuck on the screen and everything would freeze. When I would try to hard reboot it, the screen was full of white and some color lines instead of the Dell logo. I ended up getting a motherboard replacement and I have not had any problems for the past month now. The problem won't just go away w/out a replacement.

18. SirWells

Reputations:
    So you're recommending the motherboard replacement to the A04 motherboard? Did you do this yourself or have a tech do it? How did it turn out, I've heard stories about the way the laptop looks after the tech "completes" the job. Any improvement on the whine?

19. darthsat

darthsat Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I had a tech come out and do it. It took him about a half hour to replace the board, and the condition of the laptop was as good as it was before he took it apart. And I can't really answer the whine question because my laptop was essentially whine-free from the start.

About the service techs, I suppose most of them do a fairly good job. I've had the same guy come to my home 3 times(keyboard,LCD,motherboard), and he has done an excellent job each time.

20. SirWells

Reputations:
    It just did it again, there was nothing blocking the air vent for the fan. I guess the motherboard is going to have to be replaced. I'm going to ask for new M1330 to be sent to me. I have the XPS letters falling off, somebody to come and fix the keyboard (which was never really fixed) and now this... I know they won't send a NEW one, probably a refurbished one. I don't know what's best.