1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M11x r2 overheating

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by TKZ227, Sep 10, 2011.

1. TKZ227

TKZ227 Notebook Enthusiast

I have an issue with overheating on my Alienware m11x R2. I am currently playing MineCraft (for about an hour) and looking at Throttlestop I am operating at 82 degrees celcius. I am overclocking at the moment.

I have a cooling pad but it is fairly cheap ( one from Walmart that cost me $15.)

I'm at a pretty stable 81 degrees celcius right now, all though it has gone up to 82.

2. wrathofdeath

wrathofdeath Notebook Consultant

I get max 58-63C while playing portal on max settings after 2 hrs

3. M11x ftw

M11x ftw Notebook Consultant

82 isn't exactly 'overheating'. The cpu/gpu will throttle back when they reach 90 and the computer will shut down when temps reach 105. So your m11 isn't exactly going to melt at the current temps :)

4. TKZ227

TKZ227 Notebook Enthusiast

Alright thanks. It just freaked me out when I converted it to farenheit :).

Anyways, I noticed something somewhat interesting.

I was just in Minecraft when I noticed after an hour+ of recording it was at 85 celcius. I exited out of it and it immediately dropped the temperature to 74 celcius by closing it. Since then it's not dropped to 68 celcius. Is it possible that maybe my throttlestop is glitching or does that sound right?

5. BuToNz

BuToNz Notebook Geek

Give it a clean?

6. deadboy90

deadboy90 Notebook Evangelist

Canned air!

7. cg5997

cg5997 Newbie

Cleaning never seemed to work for me, I have an m11x R2 and mine never seems to drop below 94 degrees celcius!

8. Crozone

Crozone Notebook Guru

What specifically is getting to 82*C? The CPU or the GPU?

If it's the CPU, it's very high, I would say pushing the boundaries of the safe limit. Even on a desktop 82*C is high for a CPU, if it goes higher consider reapplying the TIM. Anything higher is definitely not safe, a CPU should never get close to 100*C.

However, if it's the GPU, its perfectly normal. It's not uncommon for a GPU to push 100*C during heavy gaming, it's not desirable, it's just what they do. My M11x R1 will hit 90*C on a hot day, my desktop 295GTX 103*C no problems, and I have never had any throttling issues or graphical artefacts.

9. DELAMERIO

DELAMERIO Newbie

My M11x R2 i7 used to overheat i.e. switched off after 10 mins of gaming because GPU went over 105c. The CPU also reached 101c.

Having read other posts I tried both raising the laptop to allow better air circulation and applying high quality thermal grease. To my misfortune having spent 2 hours dismantling the machine and reassembling it the Thermal Grease seemed to do absolutely nothing to lower the temps.

I almost gave up hope but decided to try one last attempt to lower the temps, so bought some compressed Air. Figured that a bit of air to remove some dust build up would make little or no difference. Having fired a few blasts into the back vents (whilst using a pin to prevent blades from rotating) then loading up the computer I was ready to see the temps raise back upto the crazy levels whilst gaming. To test the results I launched MSI Kombuster (GPU is overclocked to 585, 1404, 831 and CPU to 158), Throttlestop and MSI afterburner, amazingly the temps never went over 75c for GPU and 77c for CPU!!! Thats a 30c reduction from a little bit of air blasting!!!

Compressed Air may not be the solution for everyone experiencing overheating problems with the R2 but it sure sorted out mine.

10. Aerotype

Aerotype Notebook Consultant

To anyone looking to reduce their temps, I recommend just opening it up and cleaning out the dust with a compressed air can first, you might be surprised how much it can help. I was hitting 75C (CPU and GPU) within 10 minutes of launching any game, and as high as 85C after that, it was uncomfortably hot for me. After cleaning the dust out a little my temps dropped to a steady 68C. I also applied new thermal compound while I was in there but considering the time it takes to set in and the amount of dust that was in the fan (my R2 is about a year and a half old) I'm thinking cleaning up the dust is mostly what made such an immediate improvement.

11. calador

calador Newbie

I would like to enthusiastically recommend the "canned air" solution mentioned by the other forum users above.

Instead of normal canned air, I went a bit overboard and purchased a Datavac Electric Duster, and went to town on all my computers. For my Alienware m11x r2, though, I didn't even need to open up the chassis. I just blasted some air thru the fan out the vents, then thru the vents and out the fan opening (multiple times). Some dust billowed out, but not an IMPRESSIVE amount. In spite of this, my temps still dropped around 20c immediately afterwards. Wow? I went from 70-75c idle to ~50c idle.

My next step, although I'm in no hurry now that my temps are manageable, is to open the chassis and try to blow more dust out that way.

Hopefully, this solves my freezing problem. A while back, my m11x r2 completely froze in the middle of a Diablo 3 session. I figured this was due to overheating, so I followed the advice these forums gave me: Get a notebook cooler, or at the very least, elevate the rear of the chassis to allow better airflow. Although cooling solutions helped a bit, this method seems to have an immediate and lasting impact. I will now make it a point to do some dusting/cleaning whenever I notice my temps start to creep up.

12. Alienware-L_Porras

Alienware-L_Porras Company Representative

Hi! Here is some troubleshooting that you can try to determine if the computer is overheating and also to make it run cooler. I agree with the 90C being the maximum point.