M11x R1 BIOS recovery guide

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by ajslay, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theo667

Theo667 Newbie

Reputations:
    I love you OP. Like two bros who just went through a traumatic experience together...
    But in all seriousness, thanks do much! You definitely saved my here.

2. bouddha

bouddha Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, I just bricked my R3 with the latest official A05 bios, does anyone know where I can find the same kind of recovery files for my model?
    I'm crossing my fingers so hard right now...
    Please help!

3. Henrik9979

Henrik9979 Newbie

Reputations:
    I discovered a thing there is worth sharing. I use a pc with 32bit windows 7 ultimate, and I ran the WINCRIS.EXE as administrator and in windows xp compatibility, the result was that only 2 of my flash drives (8gb and 4gb) wanted to get the three files. All the other 5 was empty every time.

Even that the files was on the flash drives I was unable to recover the BIOS, it just gave me a couple of beeps, then a buzz and then 2 long beeps and the nothing happend.

I tried many combination by copying the 3 files manually to the other drives but same result.

Then i tried run the WINCRIS.EXE as at administrator WITHOUT RUNNING IT AS WINDOWS XP

Then I was finally able to get the three files to every one of my flash drives and every one worked to recover my BIOS.

I tried:
    1x 8GB
    2x 4GB
    3x 2GB
    1x 256mb

I tested if it would work on a windows 7 64bit and windows 8 64bit none of them was able to find the usb drives.

I can tell I noticed that you cannot run a modded bios flash from windows 8 it just freezes close to the finish and brick you pc. You have to use windows 7.

In case you cant find the BIOS recovery I uploaded a copy. :)

Crisis BIOS Recovery Alienware m11xR1 (by ajslay).zip
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/uW-soWqq/Crisis_BIOS_Recovery_Alienware.html

4. fascistraccoon

fascistraccoon Newbie

Reputations:
    OP, you are a gentleman and a scholar! Seriously I thought I was going to have to throw away my brick when it froze during a BIOS update, but thanks to you, I'm back in business. Thank you so much!

5. Action528

Action528 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I tried this method with my R1 but it doesn't work for some reason. I flashed a modded bios for the R1 but it seems like it didn't accept it. It began to beep every two seconds when it tried to reboot. Now, I tried this recovery but when I turn the computer on again, it does do the blasting fan and beep at the beginning but after that it stays like that and nothing else happens. No other beeping occurs after that and it still doesn't reboot. Any help please?

6. pbinks

pbinks Newbie

Reputations:
    Just had to try this recovery on my son's M11x R1 and it worked perfectly :thumbsup:

Many thanks for the recovery information.

7. HinkHall

HinkHall Newbie

Reputations:
    Using a 16 GB flash drive just makes it beep and beep for many minutes on end with no prevail after the beep + 30 second pause...should I just scavenge for a 4 GB?

And do the eyes flash if it is working for the HDD being read/written to? Or is it just guess and check... And does it matter which USB port I plug my drive into?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  8. GNandGS

GNandGS Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not sure how many are still around that can answer those questions with certainty...

Given the reports of how picky the system is on drives it might be that simple (to use a diff one). I would not be shocked at all also about port swap. In any case worth a try.

9. HinkHall

HinkHall Newbie

Reputations:
    Port swap did it, and I really am glad I got this for free, but wish I could take the GT 335m and stick it in my Dell Inspiron 4110

10. GNandGS

GNandGS Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for reporting back... seems folks still have use for the knowledge. Glad it all worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.