M11x R1 BIOS recovery guide

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by ajslay, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ajslay

ajslay Overclocker, PC Builder

Reputations:
    only thing i can suggest is trying multiple flash drives. everyone's been saying that's the only thing that's wrong. try using a 4gb stick that's brand new.

2. AaronRenfrow

AaronRenfrow Newbie

Reputations:
    I only have 3 sitting around here, and I don't really want to spend $80 on USB sticks trying to find one that works. To anyone who has had success with this, can you please tell me the brand and size of the USB stick? That may have had something to do with it, but I'm not sure.

I also noticed that the USB drive I just used only has 4Mb used on it. Is this normal? That seems like a very small amount to recover the BIOS, but I'm not that knowledgeable on the BIOS so I could be wrong. Also, even with show hidden files and operating system files on, no files show up on the recovery USB stick. Is this normal? Thanks.

Edit: Another note, WinCris recognizes the O drive as my removable USB drive, but my computer calls it the D drive. It seems to be the same one though, it is exactly the same size.

Edit2: I managed to fix my laptop. Thankyou so much Asjlay for this wonderful guide. Although, my results are slightly different than most. I tried 3 different USB sticks, 2 2gbs and a 250Mb. None of them worked at all, until I decided than instead of running WinCris.exe in Win XP compatibility mode, I'd just get out my old Win XP comp. I blew off the dust, persuaded it to turn on and ran Wincris on it. Worked like a charm. Before, I could not get the files to show up on any of the drives, but when I tried it on my Win XP machine, I could see all three on the drive. Plugged it in and it worked well. I ended up using a SanDisk Cruzer 256Mb. I also tried a SanDisk Cruzer 2Gb though and that didn't work. So, if trying different drives is not working for you, try running WinCris on a XP machine. Thanks again Asjlay.

3. GNandGS

GNandGS Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    megaupload offline. This should be the right file:

Bios Recovery

not sure how long it will be there

4. ajslay

Reputations:
    thankyou, im glad someone actually kept a backup haha.

5. GNandGS

GNandGS Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    no prob. Not sure = I might delete at any time but not in any hurry

6. ajslay

Reputations:
    il just download the files and keep a backup just in case =p

7. Daskalos

Daskalos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently bought a used R1 and this guide really helped me in fixing the BIOS
    (from bricking-r1-by-switching-discreete-gpu-with-.95-volt-mod:D ) I honestly didn't read the whole.95v mod thread:eek:

I used an 8gb flash drive by the way:) Thanks

8. ajslay

Reputations:
    the volt mod works completely fine with my original files. in my sig

9. Mitch_B

Mitch_B Newbie

Reputations:
    This works perfectly for me, I used the program but nothing showed up on the stick, all I did was put the 3 files (bios, and the other 2) onto the drive, restarted and was able to flash successfully (and continue flashing due to GT335M dying and wanting to make sure it was not a driver issue)

You have my full gratitude

10. ajslay

Reputations:
    thankyou :)