M11x R1 BIOS recovery guide

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by ajslay, Apr 21, 2011.

1. ajslay

ajslay Overclocker, PC Builder

Reputations:
    Hey everyone, just thought you might need a good guide on how to Recover a bricked alienware m11x (R1 only).

REQUIREMENTS: 2gb or less flash drive, the provided files, a windows 32bit pc.

step 1.) your going to need the files provided, heres the link.

http://bestvater.org/misc/Crisis BIOS Recovery Alienware m11xR1 (by ajslay).zip

step 2.) your going to need to use 7-zip to extract the files. after you extract the files you need to go to the folder
    where there located.

step 3.) plug in your 2gb or less flash drive. (you must be using a 32bit pc.)

step 4.) in the folder where you extraced the files, there should be a file called WINCRIS.exe. you need to run it as administrator and in xp compatibility mode. double click on it.

step 5.) the program should have found your flash drive automatically. click on start. after the files are done being coppied, pull out your flash drive.

step 6.) disconnect the m11x battery, and the power cord.

step 7.) plug in your recovery flash drive to your bricked m11x.

step 8.) hold down the "end" button on the m11x keyboard, and while still holding "end" plug in the power cord.

the m11x should startup automatically and make a brief beep and fan going full blast. after about 30 seconds there should be many beeps,that indicates the bios is being recovered.

step 9.) it should take about 5 minutes, after that, it should be up and going.

thats it, i hope this helped.
    :D
    edit: many reports that some flash drives do not work. all i can suggest is trying different flash drives that haven't had any recovery files on them before. also reports that 4gb flash drives do indeed work with this guide, just picky on which ones do.

kosti and tutsuo like this.
  2. elburrodiablo1978

elburrodiablo1978 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dude, you rule. I would rather have the ability to recover even if the likelihood of needing to is slim. I've been in the PSP scene for years and I know when messing with flashing firmware/BIOS, sometimes bad things happen.

3. ajslay

Reputations:
    thanks, i tried to make the guide as simple as possible. i was also in the psp scene for a long time, i still have 3 pandora battery's hahah.

4. blitzgash

blitzgash Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mmhmm. Just what I was looking for.. I browsed the VBIOS topic for a while trying to follow exactly how you did the recovery. This right here solves that problem.

Now I'm more comfortable with actually doing the vbios mod.. YAY :D

5. ajslay

Reputations:
    im glad it helped =P

6. deadboy90

deadboy90 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    wait, you said that you need a 32 bit OS for this to work rite? the windows version shipped with my R1 is a 64 bit so it wont work? im asking because i was thinking of doing DavyGT's .95 v mod and dont wanna flash the BIOS blindly with no safety net

7. ajslay

Reputations:
    yeah you need a 32bit OS on a *different* computer.

8. khaid

khaid Newbie

Reputations:
    came here to throw a big thanks to op. saved my life today ;)

9. ajslay

Reputations:
    your welcome :D glad its helping lots of people

10. m3talfingers

m3talfingers Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My buddy just tried to use the link on the first page of this thread for his r1 and it bricked, I know he used the R1 files on his R1 because I sent him the link, and the zip file says its m11xr1.rar. Trying recovery now

should there be a problem using a mac for win 32 emulation?