1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

m11x R1 260.99 Hybrid Drivers + Intel 2020

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by RigelKent, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Hero1711

Hero1711 Notebook Consultant

I did what you told me to, step 5 then step 7 (in this step it did not require a restart but I restarted anyway; after restarting it was in low res mode) then step 6. After that, I still got to step 8 :(.

P.S.: Does your M11x get its fan run all the time?

2. RigelKent

RigelKent Notebook Geek

it is in low res mode because you dont have test mode yet, enable test mode now then tell me what happened, im here waiting for your update.

3. Hero1711

Yea, like I told you, after step 7 I did step 6 (which is enabling Test mode & restart). Then I got to step 8 (Fn+F6 to switch to intel mode and got the same error).

4. RigelKent

RigelKent Notebook Geek

i just noticed it now....one of the few things different from our m11x R1 is that i am using an A05 bios and you are using an A04, will look into this...

5. Xaser04

Xaser04 Notebook Consultant

Hi mate,

New owner of a R1 here. I am interested in trying out your drivers (thank you by the way) but I am slightly concerned about running Win 7 in testing mode. What sort of risks are there (if any)?

Cheers :)

6. L1qu1d

L1qu1d Notebook Evangelist

try making the file enabled to read and execute in Permisions and also have it running like Admin. The issue seems to be security related, not just a graphic error.

This thing can also pop up with improperly installed .NET Frameworks.

7. LunaTech

LunaTech Notebook Enthusiast

I got it working!!! i also have A05 Bios installed + rep to you sir! Thank you RigelKent!

8. xtravbx

xtravbx Notebook Evangelist

Thanks! Got these working.

Running A05, 4gbs of RAM, Phoenix Pro 120GB SSD, stock alienware x64 win 7 setup.

Your steps for the most part worked - though my setup was a bit different I suppose.

I didn't read that you said to uninstall the old drivers FIRST. I disabled in control panel, went into test mode, reboot, installed new driver, reboot - got the black screen.

Went into safe mode, removed all drivers, rebooted - got low res ugly screen (obviously - there was no enhanced driver software installed because of my uninstallation and reboot).

On that reboot - it installed drivers on its, i rebooted after the auto install of what I assumed was stock drivers. Turned out that after that reboot - it had auto installed the latest 260.99 and Intel driver, and it's switchable.

Thanks!

9. m17xx

m17xx Notebook Guru

I somewhat messed up my system with this, not sure what I did wrong..

I saw the Intel GS45 Chipset and the Standart VGA Videocard in the Videocard category in device manager, so I deactivated the Chipset. When I tried to install it, I got blackscreen after I had to confirm to install non signed drivers.

Thanks in advance.

10. m17xx

m17xx Notebook Guru

Now after endless switching from switchable to discrete to have the intel show up in device manager again, windows installed intel drivers again but when running your setup it doesn't finish installing and states "Error" as for the Graphic driver and "Not installed" for the PhysX (

11. Hero1711

I flashed BIOS A05, reinstall Windows again but still got the GfxUI.exe error.

12. m17xx

m17xx Notebook Guru

After 2 hours of trying finally giving up.. some memory (sorry it's in german):

[​IMG]

13. RigelKent

RigelKent Notebook Geek

I was able to replicate the GFXui error now and able to reslove it in my replication, go to control panel -> system -> advanced system settings - > hardware tab -> device installation settings- > choose "no let me choose what to do, select "install software from windows update only if it is not found in my computer"

Windows will try to replace the intel with a WHQL one yet outdated....well that was my machine did anyway when i was trying to replicate the problems you guys are having.

14. CZroe

CZroe Notebook Evangelist

Edit: Not sure what happened here.

15. CZroe

CZroe Notebook Evangelist

16. doogser

doogser Notebook Enthusiast

Fantastic!! I can play F1 2010 and ARMA2 with decent framerates now :)
    grazie mille

17. fallte

fallte Notebook Enthusiast

edit

never mind I redid the steps and it worked - I no longer get the error but the the tray icon is now missing discrete mode.

18. exbee

exbee Notebook Enthusiast

is it worth it to upgrade to this from the latest 197 dell drivers?

19. m17xx

m17xx Notebook Guru

Just take the 256 drivers from archived drivers on nvidia.com and copy the Display Drivers to your Dell 197 /Display folder and run the setup.. not latest drivers but much less of a hassle

20. exbee

exbee Notebook Enthusiast

Will I still be able to have switchable graphics? The only reason I am a little hesitant is earlier this past summer I tried installing custom display drivers and I did one step wrong, and it took me a while to fix it.

Also, if I do what you are saying do I need to uninstall any drivers beforehand, or do I need to be running on discrete or integrated graphics, ect..