1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

m11x R1 260.99 Hybrid Drivers + Intel 2020

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by RigelKent, Nov 3, 2010.

1. RigelKent

RigelKent Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Moved to new thread, this one is too crowded now.

2. Stain

Stain Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, I do not have a R1, but I have to applaud work like this. R1 owners have been hungry for this for a while.

Cheers! +Rep
    Stain

3. Hero1711

Hero1711 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you very much. I have a problem here.
    While installing the driver, my screen went blank (but the laptop was still running). I had to press the power button to shutdown (normal shutdown). Then I turned the laptop on again, the screen went blank at login screen.

4. DrGoodvibes

DrGoodvibes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cool bananas.

I've got the Nautis 260.63 driver set, before Nautis was abducted by Aliens and vanished.

Or maybe he's just off world at the moment.

5. Hero1711

Reputations:
    I reinstalled Windows and installed the driver successfully. After restarting, I try to switch graphics and when it was on intel chip, there was a "GfxUI.exe" missing error box.

6. RigelKent

RigelKent Notebook Geek

Reputations:

will try to look into it as to why you didnt get the GfxUI.exe file.

meanwhile browse to where you extracted the driver i uploaded from mediafire...and go inside display.driver, get GfxUI.exe there and paste it in C:\windows\system32

Ill test on a different partition whether ill encounter that problem on a freshly installed windows.

How was the driver? are you able to switch smoothly? and how about performance?

EDIT : i tested on a freshly formatted machine and the drivers are installing properly, i wonder why it didnt copy GfxUi.exe in your attempt.

7. Hero1711

Reputations:
    I tried to manually copy the GfxUI.exe file to system32 but it would not run.
    When installing the driver, I used Express mode, was that correct?

I have no game on the laptop yet, trying to install drivers first :| .

8. RigelKent

RigelKent Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    can you switch properly between intel and nvidia? also try custom installation instead of express

9. Hero1711

Reputations:
    Yea, I can switch between modes smoothly (there is only the gfxui.exe error). This is what I did:
    1. Installed driver the 1st time using Express mode. (then restarted and got error)
    2. Uninstalled the driver using Control Panel. Then restart, then restart again (windows installed default driver).

3. Installed driver the 2nd time using Express mode. (then restarted and got error again)
    4. Same as 2.

5. Installed driver the 3rd time using Custom mode without cleaning. (then restarted and got error again)
    6. Same as 2

7. Installed driver the 1st time using Custom mode without cleaning. (then restarted and got error again)
    8. Stuck...

10. RigelKent

RigelKent Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    you enabled test mode right?

11. Hero1711

Reputations:
    Sure, I followed all your steps and stuck at step 7.

12. RigelKent

RigelKent Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i reformatted my m11x r1 just now and will try to replicate what you are experiencing...will update you regarding the results.

13. fallte

fallte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm getting the same error. Did a clean install, rebooted, tried to switch to discrete mode and it did switch, only the error box appeared. Tried to manually copy Gfxui in system 32 and now it switches but I get the "gfxui.exe stopped working" error. Apart from the error messages everything seems to work fine though - weird.

14. DevilofLife

DevilofLife Newbie

Reputations:
    Got the same problem error Window cannot find GFxUI.exe try copy to system 32 still gor error

15. RigelKent

RigelKent Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @hero1711, fallte, deviloflife

i was able to replicate your errors, i updated the installation steps, please refer to them, but before you do please uninstall the previous nvidia drivers you installed. if any more problems occur i will assist you.

16. fallte

fallte Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Won't a clean install work as it uninstalls previos drivers anyway?

17. Character Zero

Character Zero Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What "mode" should the R1 be in when starting? I know it should be "Switchable" but which setting - Intel or Nvidia?

18. Hero1711

Reputations:
    I reinstalled Windows again and followed your updated instructions (with the disable intel graphics step), but I got the same problem.

19. namesaj

namesaj Newbie

Reputations:
    Confirmed - It does give the missing file error. However, everything else does seem to be working properly. Thanks for the hybrid drivers.

This may help the issue:
    I copied the GfxUI.exe, and the GfxUI.exe.config over and still got the same error. Then I copied,the Gfxres.en-US.resources file and I didnt get an error. The tray icon popped up and i was able to launch the menu. As soon as I attempted to select something inside the menu, it crashed. So my guess is that its not copying all of the required dlls or other resources into the system folder. It would appear that we have a ton of files to choose from in the hybrid drivers folder. Any guesses on which files we need to manually copy over?

20. RigelKent

RigelKent Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    i reformatted my m11x and i encountered the problems you are encountering....but i found out that disabling the intel graphics in the device manager just before i run the installation fixes the problem, i will upload an updated package that i used. Thanks for the patience, just wanting to help fellow R1 users.

i modified the INF a bit and please make sure the intel graphics is marked as disabled in device manager (do not uninstall it).

will upload new package in a while, refer to page 1 for updates.