1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M11x Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by BatBoy, May 22, 2011.

1. MooseOnFire

MooseOnFire Newbie

Reputations:
    I see I actually found a deal where I can get that processor, 4gb ram, 1GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M, 750GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive for £729 brand new. Is it ok? they offer an i7 version but the pruce is about 200 more? Am i missing out on a lot?

will there be a big difference between the 1gb and 2gb graphics card?

thank you so much for a quick reply!

thanks ejohnson to for the info...have dell fixed the hinge problem? I cant afford to pay out for a fix to be done if it breaks on me!

Yeh games I want to play are very new which makes me worry. I want to play diablo 3 when its out, mass effect 3, borderlands 2 and guild wars 2. there may be some fps in there but im not sure truthfully. I hope this helps.

2. ejohnson

ejohnson Is that lemon zest?

Reputations:
    Well I have diabo3 beta on my r1, it plays, but it drops frames, but my r1 is 2 year old now.

Dell has fixed the hinge problem on the r3, if you got a r1 or r2 you may still have a issue with the hinges, but dell will replace it once for free outside of warranty.

3. tazm0n

tazm0n Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi Moose and welcome!

I'm sure if you poke around here a little more you'll get some great and very complete info on all things M11X. I have received some great info and help at this forum.

I totally know what you're asking in wanting to be as future proof as possible with your purchase. I was in a similar situation when I bought my R2 some time ago (bought new from Dell). It something to seriously consider when buying a used or older model, but kinda hard to determine with a current model. And I can't speak to what a R4 might spec out to or when rumors say it will be announced. I think it would be safe to guess it would include the new "Ivey Bridge" chips from Intel and Nvidia's newer GT 6xx Graphics. My advice would be to skip the R1 at this point, even a new one at a very good price. You will miss far too much going forward and the "pin modding" you mentioned if definitely NOT for newbies.

One thing to keep in mind if youre considering getting an R1 or R2 is that while they may be capable of playing current or future graphics intensive games, you will most likely have to sacrifice visual quality in order for it to do so- I.e. running a game and medium or low visual quality settings. In my opinion, whether this spoils the fun really depends on the game. For example, I play Skyrim at med-high settings and get decent performance depending on the map (city, outdoor, dungeon, etc.), but have tried turning the setting down even further to get higher frame rates for smoother play and I felt it really took the wind out of the experience by having all those amazing environments muddied by lower graphics. But with modern warfare 3 I didn't really mind the poorer visuals in exchange for the higher performance (I actually didn't have to turn things down that much, but wanted quicker reactions in multip). I hope this makes sense. Bottom line is, just be prepared to do some tweaking with either visual settings, overclocking or even modded drivers and other utilites with some of the higher end games.

Good luck with your purchase!

4. Yiddo

Yiddo Believe, Achieve, Receive

Reputations:
    That is a good deal and the same as what I got for £699.99 with a killer card so you are only paying £30 more call them up and say you only have £700 and see if they will accept it as they need sales at the moment as they are nearing the end of this revision.

The I7 will makes minimal difference is any and the 2gb Graphics card will make no difference whatsoever the 540M GT cannot use more than 1GB as mentioned I ran a furmark test flat out at 1080p and it only used 69% of the memory/VRAM.

Do not consider the R1 or R2 at this point as you are just going backwards it may be cheaper but you will be upgrading sooner if you are intending to play the latest games at anything more than low-medium settings.

5. tazm0n

tazm0n Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I forgot to mention the different in CPUs in my earlier reply....

I got the core i7, mainly because at the time it was a free upgrade. Essentially it has a larger level 3 cache- 4mb compared to 3mb on the i5. This means nothing for games and mostly applies to things like video, photo or audio editing from what I've read. Some i7 might also have a higher turbo boost than an i5 with the same base speed.

If that i7 is a £200 upgrade, then I wouldn't get it unless you will be using your M11 for heavy media creation or just want the fastest.

The bigger memory on a GPU can mean it will store a greater amount of game related stuff like textures which, depending on the game, can mean a big boost in performance. But I've also read that some games will never come close to needing a memory buffer as large as 2 or 3 gb so anything above 1-1.5 gb is a waste of money. I think the m14 has a 3gb option that everyone on that forum was saying was a waste of money. But It seems that future games could take advantage of GPUs with bigger buffers, so I'd probably get the 2gb to help with some future proofing.

6. azn4lif3s

azn4lif3s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The extra gig of vram is useless, just a suggestion but if you're looking at a gaming laptop why not look beyond alienware. They make nicer laptops but spec wise there are laptops with much nicer specs for around the same price

Sent from my DROID RAZR

7. MooseOnFire

MooseOnFire Newbie

Reputations:
    this is the info and help i needed im so grateful for the help. When i trird talking to dell they just kept on trying to me upgrade.

Thanks taz for the information and I am prepared that some loss somewhere has to happen. Im just in love with the fact this laptop is so small but packs a huge punch. And I know people moan about for the same price I could get a desktop but there is something I really like about the mx11. I think a laptop is one of our most personal posessions and this I could really make mine.

Im glad its a good deal yiddo. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what I can wangle out of them. I dont mind pushing hard if it means me surviving a bit better : P

what about newer games will they use the 2gb inside the graphics card? why have it if its useless? Maybe dell is aiming for people like me (who have no clue) who thinks its bigger so I should buy it lol. There is a significant price increase.

again many thanks peeps. I will avoid the R1 and at least narrowed it down to either R2 (if extremely good offer) and the R3. Will update you tomorrow!

I see Azn thanks for the suggestion I know ASUS do some crazy models but also crazily expensive. plus they are not small! which is what im looking into.

Just to burn myself lol I actually work with photoshop and 3d max. but i dont expect much in the way of 3d max to be honest. I can work in the studio for that.

If i can push for a free i7 i will : P never know until you try hehe

8. azn4lif3s

azn4lif3s Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I noticed you wanted small but if you just want a cheap laptop at a good price with good processing power and a good gpu look at the Acer aspire 5755g-6823 there might even be an updated version

Sent from my DROID RAZR

9. GNandGS

GNandGS Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Didn't bother reading much of this... if you are poor there are better bangs-for-the-buck avail. Who says you have to run the newest and latest game or computer for escape time?

I "get away" via BF2, NFS, Ser Sam, or some other random game I already have. Save your money and use it wisely and whatever you do, get a system WITH A WARRANTY. You cannot afford to have an uncovered failure. Ditto for mods... leave the system alone unless you can afford to dump it in the trash.

10. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, I just purchased my M11X a few weeks ago... I'm an animation student wanting somethins small to carry around to the city and out and about.
    and this is fine, I had a HP DV6 prior as my "lug around" lappy, but a 15.6" screen is a pain to carry... Sometimes you just wanna carry a small satchel bag or the likes instead of a massive backpack.

Anyway, I purchased one on the same track as you, from thinking of a second hand and upgrading components and ending up with a new one.
    I put 8GB ram in myself and will upgrade to my own SSD soon.

Yes, you can get more bang for your buck with other brands, you can get a proper quad-core i7, 16GB ram, 256GB SSD, 15.6" lappy for the same price most of the time, (I paid $1,400 in Australia for mine), but again, it came down to size.
    It has a bit of grunt and is a small lappy with a full Win7 64-bit OS!

It runs Photoshop fine, and Maya 2012... I use After Effects mainlt, and despite just having to update the graphics drivers, it handles it all fine!
    You still get that brush-lag in Photoshop with large brushes, and render times in Maya aren't all that bad. I didn't get this for real heavy 3D, but just simple modelling and viewing files, no full blown Mental Ray rendering...

I like the sturdy build quality of AW too, a bit bulky, yes, but sturdy. I looked at a lot of lappy's in retail shops (they stock AW too, but way too expensive at retail shops) anyway, I compared it to aimilar sized lappy's and to me the build quality is much sturdier, call me old fashioned, but I'm getting sick of seeing computers getting insanely thin, they just seem "flimsy", not sure if that's good choice of word as it may offend, but to me something with a bit of bulk will outlast something thin...

A good comparison, Nokia 3310 Vs iPhone... The 3310 was indestructable, but how many iphones do you see dead??? Lol, maybe not the best comparison, but you get my point... Maybe...

Plus, I find myself playing more games now than I used to.

All-in-all, you won't regret it!

Also, do haggle on the phone, I managed to save myself $80...

Goodluck, man. :)

11. Rishwin

Rishwin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With regards to "you could get a cheaper brand better specs for the same price" you have to consider that Alienwares by comparison hold their value ALOT more than other brands. So even though money may be tight, i can assure you that it is indeed a worthwhile investment :)

As for i5 VS i7, trust me you are not missing out on anything by getting the i5. Also unless you are using an external monitor @ 1080p for games with massive maps, you're not losing anything by getting 1GB GPU over the 2GB.

My M11x specs are in my sig, all-up that cost me $750 and it's replaced my 17.3" Asus gaming laptop as my main machine. I absolutely love it and you will too.

P.S. - As other have said, make sure you haggle like mad. Get a discount, get free NBD shipping, and get free warranty or something thrown in. Make them EARN your business.

12. Rypac

Rypac Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey Moose, as you see from the responses you came to the right place to ask these questions. I'm sure that you'll learn lots from these responses.

I suggest it would be just worth thinking over if you actually want an 11 inch laptop. You may have already thought about that but I didn't read anywhere in your OP about a need for portability; which is where the M11x excels. Obviously the M11x is much more powerful (and bigger) than other 11 inches but you could get a bigger, more powerful laptop for about the same price.

If you still really want the M11x, then I can definitely recommend it. I love my little R2 and it has done me proud over the last coming up to 2 years I have owned it. I realise that price is a big barrier but I would advise trying to grab an i5 R3. These are great machines and a definite improvement in all areas over its predecessors. I have compared my R2 and a friends R3 and it just feels more refined and overall a better machine. The upgraded GPU and CPU should help to prolong its service life as well.

Make sure to keep a look out for refurbished units in the Outlet, the marketplace here on NBR and eBay, because that is where you will find the bargains. Good luck Moose and I hope you can find what you are looking for. :)

13. Yiddo

Reputations:
    All the comments regarding there may be a lot better deals for a lot better prices. This maybe true.

But it still wont be an Alienware ;)

+ You will not find another model with as good battery life and as small with this hardware in an 11 inch netbook. Sager/Clevo are looking to chuck out a better model but Alienware have released 3 revisions of the M11 for the sole reason, it works and works very well. I have had numerous netbooks and small notebooks and they all pack the Atom + ION. The I-5 with the 540M GT is something else entirely.

14. MooseOnFire

MooseOnFire Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks everyone for the comments. I didnt think about asking for next day delivery or a better warranty today I just thought about the actual machine. They seemed pretty polite and took your advice about what specs to get. I was basically quoted for the specs i found for 700 in my previous post. I will try again tomorrow with delivery and warranty he he.

Yes I do need it for portability as my work becomes more demanding I am required to head abroad more and work both from home and the studio.

Its really nice to hear that people have great opinions. When I researched initially I just got lots of flaming about the machine saying alienware were a combination of overpricing and bad parts.

As for the comment about if im poor surely there are better things to do...well no, I earn what money I have by working 10 hours a day and when I get a chance to switch off for half an hour or a day. I spend it playing video games and drawing. But I understand where your coming from.

T-rav I defo understand what you mean about the nokia phone! Lots of people said they were too bulky laptops but I like that they are solid feeling. I hate mac air because I feel like its going to snap, plus its actually uncomfy in my hands to me.

I found one on a local ad site which I contacted today which was r2, its really cheap at £200 which leads me to believe there may be something wrong with it or Im lucky lol. He has provided photos of it working which is something.

Ah...Thank you so much for all the help. I guess its going to be the R3 If nothing else comes up. I will keep you posted about what happens on the phone again tomorrow!

15. Rishwin

Rishwin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Call back after placing the order and get NBD delivery. Tell them that you need it within a specific time and when you placed the order the "estimated" arrival time was acceptable but since then the ETA has increased (it always does) and now you need them to do NBD or you won't get it in time. Make up some BS story about you going overseas or out of town or something, so there'll be nobody at home to accept the delivery if it's late.

Worked for me twice :p

16. Yiddo

Reputations:
    I have torn this thing apart and trust me it is made very well and the parts are certainly worth the price. You will pay for the name and the fancy features at the end of the day especially in the UK with our high VAT but if you want the best you pay the money for it. When it comes to Alienware their M11x and M14x are very good value. The M17x and M18x can be matched easily by Clevo and Sager so that area is a no go unless you are loaded or love only Alienware.

Enjoy your purchase you wont regret it! ;)

17. un4tural

un4tural Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    frankly only faults i noticed were rather low quality thermal paste they used and that webcam hole isn't perfectly painted, it is a little bit off lol...

other than that don't get the intel wifi 1000 wireless card. it is crap. kept dropping connection with certain routers etc. had to change to a different one.

other than that, it is really easy to take apart, i have taken countless laptops apart, and m11x is definitely a breeze... cooling vent clogs up fairly quickly, but if you blow it clean once a month or two it should be totally fine. just hold the fan still with a needle or something so it doesn't get stuck or broken.

18. bleachpedro3

bleachpedro3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    lol Pre-purchase stress? After buying you'll feel after-purchase stress which isn't as much about the money,but more about the eternity waiting for it. I probably gained 5 pounds (I'm an impatient stress-eater) while waiting for my M11x,although it doesn't help that I was left PC-less while waiting for mine ;)

19. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Good to hear you took the plunge. :)

It'll suit you fine for quick bursts of Photoshop and 3D modelling... But with such a small workspace in 3D, you'll eventually go mad. lol.
    I recommend connecting to an external monitor if you plan on long hours of 3D, but for a to do some blocking out and quick tests, it's fine.

All the best.:)

20. BitByteBit

BitByteBit Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I love my M11x R2. That being said given the chance I would probably trade it for an R3. That or a Sager NP6110 since it's roughly the same price and it has a stronger CPU and GPU. Shipping might be a pain, but you can always use a site like myus.com.

If you really want the best bang for you buck; get a desktop as your main rig and a cheap netbook.