M11x Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by BatBoy, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. un4tural

un4tural Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Won't help much if your connection is crap. I suppose killer wireless doesn't drop connection every hour or so from certain routers, or don't even acknowledge others.

But yeah, best is to go with option 1 and just upgrade yourself. Unless you have 2 legs for hands... Then just go with second.

2. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    the wireless card only helps from your computer to the wireless router. If you have a crappy internet connection (that is, from your wireless router to your internet service provider), nothing you do will help you.

3. Jaafa10

Jaafa10 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok thanks for the replies guys. So the consensus is option one or two?

If its a choice between these two is it really not worth 40 euro, the wireless card and extra 120GB of space?

Or better to save the 40 and upgrade later when needed?

Oh one more thing is the neoprene sleeve worth 23 euro? I'll need one anyway, but is this a good one for the price?

4. un4tural

un4tural Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i got the sleeve, but i am carrying it always in my backpack so it isn't that useful, since m11x came in a sort of protective(though weak) sleeve thing, though enough for a backpack, unless its one of those potato bag deals.

and No, it isn't worth the extra 40quid, better save up. But it depends if you are capable to open the laptop and unscrew few things and replace it :)

5. Rishwin

Rishwin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Bigfoot is overkill, but the Intel 1000 is absolute crap. I would go for the first option, and upgrade the WiFi card to the Intel 6205, for me the upgrade was only $25 USD but VERY worth it.

6. Jaafa10

Reputations:
    Crap in terms of what? My biggest concern is signal range. As I said my internet connection is only about 4mb/s so.....

I mean right now I got an Atheros AR9285 in my laptop. How does it compare to that?

7. RipJak

RipJak Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I personally would go with the first option but I'm not really into the wireless card thing, like I don't know how beneficial it would be, plus my internet sucks and my current laptop probably have that same card and is operating fine on campus.

You can save the money and upgrade later if it's too crappy. On the other hand you can't downgrade and save your money.

8. Rishwin

Rishwin Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well from what i've heard from others, the 1000 has issues with dropping out and range. I had that on my R2 before i returned it and got my R3, and experienced both of those issues.

The range on the 6205 is excellent, supports more bands than the 1000 does, has wireless display, and you can even broadcast your own network and share your internet over your own WiFi. VERY handy to have, i've had to use that on countless occasions.

9. Jaafa10

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice.

See that last paragraph, I don't know what wireless display is or how broadcasting your own network works/what it does. I've never looked in wireless cards before this.

10. Jedispooner

Jedispooner Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Wow, Dell have hiked up the prices of the M11x R3 Intel Core i7 2637M to £335 additional cost on the configuration pages! SOB! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.