1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M11x Pre-Order Configuration Questions... Ask HERE

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by BatBoy, May 22, 2011.

1. andrei832

andrei832 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Or maybe a Momentus XT ? I like having more storage. From what i just read, they are pretty good especially after they "learn" what you do, the speed increases significantly, boot time also. They are far from SSD performance in some cases, but they have more storage

2. manu72

manu72 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't like hybrids, on my m11 i will go for a 160-256GB ssd (most probably a samsung 830 256GB, but i'm still debating with myself) and the ex-internal 750gb hdd will go in an external usb3.0 cage.

It's a personal preference tho.

3. Jaafa10

Jaafa10 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I gona be hitting buy on a M11x r3 within the next week or two. The config is

i5,4GB ram, Killer wireless n, Bluetooth, 320GB HDD and the GT540m of course. All this for about 720 euro delivered.

Now there's just two things.
    1. I live in Ireland but am gona buy from dell uk (same model here cost 250 more), and use a courier to get it to me. Can anyone see any problems with this? I assume my warranty will still be ok?

2. There is another model with 2GB more ram for 50 euro more. But I figure I can always upgrade that later for cheaper right? Can anyone show me a site where I could buy the ram? To get it up to 6 or 8 GB?

Thanks in advance.

4. Jaafa10

Reputations:
    ^^^^

Change to the above. Actually gona but from Ireland as it turns out cheaper. 680 euro.

Any suggest any changes to that config?

5. Jaafa10

Reputations:
    Ok so I'm gona be getting one of these bad boys soon. Thing is I have 3 options.

1. For 640 euro. Alienware m11x r3 with.
    -i5
    -4GB ram
    -250GB HDD
    -Intel 1000 wireless card

2. For 680 euro
    -i5
    -4GB ram
    -320GB HDD
    -Killer wireless N-1013

3. For 720 euro
    -i5
    -6GB ram
    -500GB HDD
    -Killer wireless n

Everything else is the same on all.

I've had a 320GB HDD in my current laptop for a year and have only filled it to 140GB even with OS etc. So basically is it worth the money for an upgrade to,HDD, ram or wireless card at this price? Taking into account money is a little tight?

Thanks.

6. Pyrok

Pyrok Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not nearly as experienced as some other people on this forum. However, personally I find massive hard drives to be a waste (for me at least). Unless you have loads of movies/games that you want to keep on your HDD at all times, I find 120gb to be more than sufficient.

My m11x just came with 4gb of RAM and I recently purchased 8gb from Newegg for 40$ shipped, so I would personally put my money towards GPU/CPU upgrades if you're wanting to game a lot with your m11x. However if you aren't focused on playing hardware intensive games then, that's a different story.

Goodluck!

7. un4tural

un4tural Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Go with second one, unless you don't mind to buy a different WIFI card and upgrade later - in that case get the first setup, as it will be cheaper.

8. SlickDude80

SlickDude80 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    option 1 bro..and save your cash. You only put 140gigs on your harddrive, and the killerN isn't a huge upgrade to the intel wireless. I have the intel wireless card and i game all the time without lags etc

9. Jaafa10

Reputations:
    What if your internet connection isn't the greatest? Does it help at all then?

10. darkdomino

darkdomino Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Get the lowest memory you can, and buy your own sticks. Don't ever buy memory from Alienware they'll charge you hundreds for something you can buy for 40 bucks on newegg.