1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

M11x Hinge/Screen touching Keyboard Discussion (R1 & R2)

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by Rhodan, Jun 19, 2010.

?

M11x Hinge Alligment

1. M11x R1: No contact between screen and keyboard

13.1%
  2. M11x R1: Screen is touching the keyboard

36.3%
  3. M11x R2: No contact between screen and keyboard

16.2%
  4. M11x R2: Screen is touching the keyboard

34.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhodan

Rhodan NBR Expert of Nothing

Reputations:
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NBR MODERATOR note:

FYI to all viewing this thread for the first time - just as a general warning, you will come across several 'do it yourself' fixes to this reported hinge 'issue'.
    First, there are many owners who have no problems with the hinge on their system. This does not mean that an issue does not exist. This is simply to point out that not all have experienced this. With that being said, I want to be sure this is clear so there is no confusion:

Like any other issue which may come up while you are under warranty - if you develop a problem with your system, contact support. I cannot stress this enough. Your system is covered, do not take matters into your own hands only to make it worse.

If you are out of warranty, then yes, you can certainly choose to perform one of these 'repairs'. If you are in the warranty period - as I understand it, doing this will VOID your warranty. If in fact your hinge breaks, let Dell deal with it. Why risk voiding your warranty?

-BB

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The M11x seems to have a chronic problem with misaligned hinges which has so far resulted in damages to screens and hinges

Please do this quick test to determine if your hinges are properly aligned.

1. Cut a 4" wide strip out of a sheet of paper
    2. Lay it on your M11x keyboard with one end sticking out on the left or right side
    3. Close the screen and try to pull/push the sheet out/in of the closed lid.

If the paper cannot be slided in/out freely then your screen is touching your keyboard which indicate the hinges are improperly aligned and overtime this could lead to a damaged screen or hinges falling apart.

NEW

This thread was originally started to assess the percentage of M11x with the screen touching the keyboard and possibly determine if this was a defect. It has since morphed into an all hinge related thread. The information below is a summary of what has been going on...

The quote below is from the resident Dell Rep telling us it's normal for the screen to touch the keyboard. This was his last contribution to this thread and as far as I know to any hinge related thread... Please feel free to provide link to any subsequent posting from erawneila regarding hinges.

The questions below remain unanswered

This previous post from me about the hinges...

Got us this response from the Dell Rep stating the cracking/popping issue had been corrected...

And so far my all time favourite is the other Dell Rep who posted on the Dell Forums that a fix had been put in place in the last week of June and later removed his post. Check it out in this post from slickie88

What people have reported so far...

• Uneven gap on the left or right side hinge
    • The lid sits uneven protruding out the base when it is closed
    • Keyboard smudging screen when lid is closed
    • Keyboard scratching screen when lid is closed
    • Hinge dislocating
    • Hinge cracking/snapping/becoming damaged

Here's a link to the first post of the Fixing the M11x weak hinge creaking/cracking problem. Screen opened! thread which has very good pictures of a defective hinge/screen. Great thank you to jonjonk for the pictures!

And finally what could be the fix the Dell Reps have posted about... Cherude posted picture here of what seems to be 2 different set of nuts used to fasten the hinges inside the lid.

We have little information from Dell on the hinge issue and this is troubling. One would think a corporation would go out of their way to resolve what seems so far like a defect that will potentially affect all M11x shipped prior to the alleged fixe being put in place. Alienware is after all supposed to be a top notch quality/performance brand which customer pay a substantial premium to own.

My recommendation is that potential customers should be cautious in purchasing this system. We know there's an issue with the hinge and we do not know if it was fixed.

UPDATE:

Be Aware of the latest comment posted 08/25 on this board by Dell Rep which seems to indicate the hinge issue has not yet been resolved.

2. slickie88

slickie88 Master of Puppets

Reputations:
    Is it possible to adjust the hinge alignment?

3. ninja2000

ninja2000 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I dont even need to perform the test with mine! I can visibly see marks and grease on my screen where it has sat against the keys :(
    So far no damage though.

4. CZroe

CZroe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  5. Rhodan

Reputations:
    No Idea, it seem they are positioned slightly too low which is causing the contact between the keyboard and screen while the front of the lid has a gap btween the base.

6. jsgiv

jsgiv Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've 2 units now with 2 screen replacements. The way the hinge sits in the base - there is no "room" for alignment or adjustment - there's 2 specific slots where the hinge assembly fits directly in - with screws to place it/connect it to the base. I should note that your paper trick - is somewhat vague - if I pull lightly on the piece of paper - it doesn't budge. However, if I pull a little harder - the paper does come out.. I voted that it's touching the screen - based on the fact that I have to exert some force in order to get the paper to pull out...

My latest screen - (a replacement) "clicks" - however - the click is actually in the screen hinge itself - not on the base. The click had gone away for awhile - thought it had worked itself out - but now it's back - but much quieter / less noticeable.

If it continues to pose a problem - I'll ask for another screen and/or replacement system. As for the hinge and how the screen sits on the unit - I'm fairly certain that's the design. I've purchased a kabuto mouse pad and am using that as a screen protector to place between the keyboard and screen when I have it closed, etc.

7. slickie88

slickie88 Master of Puppets

Reputations:
    I've been using the insert that shipped with the laptop in order to protect things. Won't probably last very long so I'll have to find something comparable to use after that.

8. Bendak

Bendak Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can pull the piece of paper, it doesn't slide but does move with a little force.. I've never had problems with the keyboard marking/scratching the screen so I assume my hinges are properly aligned.

9. Rhodan

Reputations:
    Then your hinges are not aligned properly. There should be not contact whatsoever so the paper should slide in and out freely.

10. Bendak

Bendak Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Ah, unfortunate. The poll will not be accurate because i voted against having a poorly aligned hinge. Seems like 2/3 M11x's have this problem making it the prevalent niggle of this unit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.