M11x clock generator ICS9LPRS387BKLF

Discussion in 'Alienware M11x' started by duffyanneal, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavyGT

DavyGT Overclocker

Reputations:
    Searching over the thread, I found a small photo and edited it. Here it is: [​IMG]

Just followed Nando4's post- he says it's possible to disconnect TME just by cutting off the pin which means no soldering. I tried that on my Aspire One and it works.
    EDIT: Btw, I'm quite new to soldering, so please don't follow my diagram exactly- I only connected directly to Pin 14 because I don't know what that component connected to P14 is or how it can be connected to ground. :eek:

2. tassadar898

tassadar898 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I found this someone who volt modded the i5-520m I have the i5-520um so I don't know if there are any differences. Its in Russian so you'll need google translate but ven after that I'm still not sure what he did to increase the voltage.

Pain_666 - Ïðîñìîòð çàïèñè

3. DavyGT

DavyGT Overclocker

Reputations:
    Looks like he modded his voltage regulator.

4. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There is a chip on the motherboard that controls voltage, he pinmodded it, how exactly did he do it (details), I would like to know myself.

I did send that guy an email, he speaks english pretty well. But in the email I never asked about the volt mod, I just wanted the pinout for the PLL (we have the same PLL).

Maybe you can email him if you want the details for the volt mod.

Though it's probably going to be slightly different for your notebook, hardest part would be to find the voltage regulator without knowing exactly which brand and model is used.

5. tassadar898

Reputations:
    hm wont let me register on hwbots to send him a private message. can you pm me the way you contacted him?

6. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  7. tassadar898

Reputations:
    cool whats this say:

" Далее вольтмод проца. Сначала хотел сделать VID мод прямо в сокете, но увидев даташит на процы этой серии идея отпала из-за слишком неудобного расположения VID пинов, и отсутвтвия рядом пинов с массой и VCC. А тянуть провода под брюхом проца занятие менее приятное чем просто завольтмодить стабилизатор тем же методом только с паяльником в руках. Поэтому было решено найти стабилизатор и поиздеватся над ним. Стабилизатор оказалася на той же стороне материнки что и клокер, пришлось заново разобрать ноут до основания (спасибо микростару что он использовал только 2 типа болтов и вкручивал их в доступные для Землянина места, чего не скажешь об асусе). Даташит был найден сразу, видать не редкая штука. Беглый осмотр показал наличие чудесного пина обратной связи FB, что тоже порадовало - не нужно было делать VID мод. Спротивление между массой и пином было измерено - 2.6кОм, и впараллель впаян подстроечник на 50к: "

8. vorob

vorob Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Something like:

Now to volt processor. At first i wanted to make a VID mod directly in the socket, but seeing the Datasheet on the processor of this series I refused this idea because VID pins location is too inconvenient, plus a lack of nearby pins with ground and VCC. Pulling wire under the bottom of the CPU work less pleasant than a voltmod of stabilizer using the same method with only a soldering iron in my hands. So i decided to find a stabilizer and work on it. Stabilizer was on the same side of the motherboard that clocker (clock-generator), had to fully dissemble laptop. Datasheet has been found at once, seems its not a rare thing. A quick inspection revealed the presence of the miraculous feedback pin “FB”, so no need to do VID mod. I measures resistance between ground and pin and it was “2.6 Ohm” so I soldered Resistor 50 kOhms into parallel.

But i'm not sure what is "подстроечник" even in russian, looks like it is something to adjust the frequency of something. I dunno :) Need to wait for my friend who likes this stuff. But googling i found that i could be potentiometer.

9. Rjdeli

Rjdeli Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    this is all well and good.. really i am stoked! +rep even but I've yet to see any screen shots of any benchmarks/stability tests to see if this mod is warranted risk vs reward. you know what i mean ??

10. tassadar898

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'm reading up on voltage regulators as we speak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.