M.2 NVMe to SATA converter

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Gudi, Jul 18, 2016.

1. SteveW1969

SteveW1969 Newbie

Reputations:
    This unit does not support NVMe m.2 shows it on the webpage at the bottom for the 1st link you show... try again.

On another note I have succesfully cloned a Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 512GB SSD to a Samsung 950 Pro SSD 2.5 Sata by using the open source clone software Clonezilla Live 2.5.2.31 i686. I used the tutorial from the following video.

2. RiderMo

RiderMo Newbie

Reputations:
    Quite confused... Already that what we're all trying to achieve is quite confusing too... I thought that the Samsung 950 is coming in a M.2 form factor only and is PCIE nVME and not in a 2.5" form factor under SATA interface...

I think we all try to achieve the same thing here.... Trying to clone our small capacity SSD M.2 nVME to a newer and larger one. Another thing confusing (assuming you guys are using Samsung based SSD M.2 nVME) is that their 'Samsung SSD Data Migration v.3.1 -user manual-' states that "you may need a separate M.2 PCIe/USB converter (connector) to connect an NVMe SSD".
    Hurray!!! or maybe not... Like you guys I'm ending up here asking the same question... were the hell can we find a M.2 PCIe/USB converter to connect our new 1TB 960 M.2 nVME SSD into an M.2 PCIe/USB converter so we can perform the cloning process from our oldish 256 GB (gasp) 951 M.2 nVME...

Anyone successful on that end for the adapter approach or the only way is to perform the 3 way process? ghosting to external hdd or large USB memory stick with a 3rd party software, swap the SSD and image ghost into the new swapped SSD.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  3. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    I'm with Starlight5 on this issue (from his post a year and a half ago...). Even a 'successful' solution to this thread will be less satisfying than a clean install with current O/S and current, up-to-date drivers and software. ;)

Starlight5 likes this.