M.2 NVMe to SATA converter

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Gudi, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Daye_adapter

Daye_adapter Newbie

Reputations:
    This adapter has two functions. The first one is M.2 NVMe (PCIe interface) to SFF-8643 converter. The 2nd one is M.2 SATA to SATA 7+15 pin converter.
    If you install M.2 NVMe SSD on the converter + SATA cable. It doesn't work. No matter you link USB again.
    If you install M.2 NVMe SSD on the converter + SFF-8643 cable. It can work and speed to 32Gbps.

If you want to clone your M.2 SSD into USB, you must find the adapter is M.2 NVMe to USB.
    you can find it on the market.

2. Daye_adapter

Daye_adapter Newbie

Reputations:
    The card can work on SATA, but only M.2 SATA SSD, not NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD.

3. hoofhearted

hoofhearted Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Has anyone found an nvme to usb adapter yet? albeit slow performance, but a one-time slow performance task of cloning in one pass.

boe likes this.
  4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Nothing that I've come across.

Your alternative for cloning is to use software which lets you make a backup image onto an external storage device (if you haven't got an external HDD then it's time to get one for your backups) and then restore that image onto the new SSD. Some people have recommended Macrium Reflect for this purpose although I've never used it.

John

hoofhearted likes this.
  5. hoofhearted

hoofhearted Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I actually have a Thunderbolt 3 on my laptop. I tried searching for something going that route, but the only thing I could find was an enclosure for $249 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K5Z13I2) and a pcie card for $20 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01798WOJ0). To me this seems way to overpriced, especially being that esata, usb3.1, etc followed this same trend, historically. I'll just do it in two passes like John suggested. Downloading Macrium Free version.

6. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm still looking for a modern nvme to usb converter myself. I dupe a number of drives and while usb isn't as fast it would be much more convenient for me.

7. Seebaroni

Seebaroni Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello.

Funnily enough, I am trying to extract some data from the same Samsung M.2 SSD as in these pictures. The drive was replaced under warranty and I need to take some old files off it.

Can anyone advise whether the setup described here would work for recovering data? My understanding is that, according to DeLock's website, NVMe drives can only be enabled and accessed when connected via the SFF-8643 interface.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Speed and data transfer rates are not an issue as I only need to recover data.

Thanks.

8. Roozell

Roozell Newbie

Reputations:

9. Roozell

Roozell Newbie

Reputations:
    Where can I buy the SFF-8643 & SATA 7 + 15 pin to M.2 Key SSD Adapter?

10. @tomX

@tomX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations: