M.2/NGFF wireless cards in Precision M4X00, M6X00 (my experience with M6700)

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Don't know why I can't find a Wi-Fi card that I like...
    The Intel 9260 is generally good, but I have had many occurrences where it seemed to cap itself off at 60 Mbps while connected to a 5 GHz 802.11ac network. This would just "happen" after a while, maybe once every other week; rebooting or just disabling/re-enabling the WLAN card would fix it. (I normally reboot only two or three times per month, so it might be more likely to happen with long uptime?) A 60 Mbps cap isn't immediately noticeable for Internet traffic (especially when my Comcast connection is already capped at 70 Mbps), but I would notice when a LAN transfer like my image backup was taking forever or when just moving big files to or from my file server would be going slower than normal; also when this was going on and I had a big transfer going using all of the 60 Mbps, other transfers (i.e. random Internet browsing) would be dead slow. I tried multiple driver versions, a few different options in the "advanced" device settings in Device Manager, and I even tried using two different kinds of routers, but it would always eventually happen.

I picked up a Broadcom BCM4356 based card (this is Broadcom's "wave 2" 802.11ac chipset), specifically the Azurewave AW-CB210NF-P, which is also M.2/NGFF. Seems good so far but I've only been using it for one day. We'll see.....

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    DynamiteZerg likes this.
  2. DynamiteZerg

DynamiteZerg Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just a random thought.... Is it due to power saving mode kicking in?

3. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I dunno, I did turn off "this device can be turned off to conserve power" and any power-related-seeming option that I could find in the "Advanced" tab in Device Manager...

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I have a Wi-Fi 6 / 802.11ax setup in my house now. I am using a pair of Asus RT-AX92U routers (mesh) and I just got an Intel AX200 NGFF card, which is installed in my M6700.

Early testing, I can push a bit over half a gigabit over the LAN. I'm not sure if the bottleneck is the wireless or the server I am using on the other end. (It is attached directly to the router by gigabit Ethernet, but it is about a decade old low-spec machine.) With an AC card I would get around 350 Mbps.

AT&T has been active digging and dropping fiber lines my the area, hoping they activate the fiber node by my house soon so that I can try out gigabit Internet.

[​IMG]

DynamiteZerg and custom90gt like this.
  5. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Only if those fancy cards have working drivers for windows 7 *sigh*

6. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wouldn't be surprised if you could just install the 10 drivers on 7.

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    So it turns out that maybe this was all unnecessary?

Intel appears to be letting people take the AX200 chip and slap it onto other things. I recently was working with a family member on a new desktop build and his motherboard had the AX200 chip built-in. I just now saw that someone has built a mini-PCIe AX200 card which you can purchase for under $20, and could be fitted into one of these systems without an adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283730742854

I ordered one of these cards and will report back...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    fiftikus likes this.
  8. fiftikus

fiftikus Newbie

Reputations:

9. fiftikus

fiftikus Newbie

Reputations:
    Hallo Aaron,
    This was a very Good hint from you. I found an AX200HMW in a Chinese Shop for Around 15 $. I was able to complete replace the integrated 7260AC in a Dell Precision 6800 with Even the Original Antenna cables. And it Worked in a few Minutes. It´s great, but I didn’t get the expected Push in throughput. I get only 250 Mbit against an 11ac Router. I am still searching where the Problem is...

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Are you totally sure that it is connecting at 5 GHz and not 2.4 GHz? I've been able to get 350-400 Mbps to an AC router. (It is normal to get well below the rated speed.)