Lowest Temp Setup?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ctenc001, Aug 20, 2020.

1. ctenc001

ctenc001 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When looking at a laptop where everything else is the same and you have the option of 2-3 GPUs to pick from, say a 1650 ti or a 2060, which one will run at cooler temperatures when playing a game that is a medium/high load for the lower end card, but a lighter load for the higher end card? would the 1650 run cooler because it's a smaller(?) more efficient(?) design? or would the 2060 run cooler because it's less taxing and running at a lower mhz to achieve the same performance?

Same question when choosing an i5 or i7 CPU?

How about a game like league of legends maxed out, where it's a light load on both cards? Which would run cooler?

For reference, I only play games with pretty low requirements. I currently have a dell xps 15 9560 with a 1050ti and it can handle all the games I throw at it. I'd want a spec bump to future proof a new purchase but want a laptop that stays cool enough (like my xps 15) to play games with the laptop sitting in my lap in a lazy boy. My 1050ti and I5 cpu while playing league of legends with high settings each rarely break 60C and the surface temp stays comfortably cool.

With cool surface temps being my most important feature, what is the best upgrade path? A higher spec machine that'd be taxed less under the loads I throw at it, or a lower spec machine with hardware that puts of more heat maybe? Or maybe a laptop that has a chasis designed to handle up to a 2070, but specced out with only a 1650?

2. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With heat pipes design nowadays leaning towards linking CPU n GPU, it'll not be easy to determine which one puts out the highest heat when "the best" candidates from both fields are chosen.
    U want low, comfortable temperature, APUs are ur only options.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The problem with the comparison you're looking for is that few laptops are offered with both low-end and high-end graphics cards. A laptop with a GeForce GTX 1650 probably won't have an upgrade path to an RTX 2060, and if it does, it'll probably have a beefed-up heatsink to handle it. The heatsinks are an expensive component of the laptop so the manufacturer won't usually put in any bigger one than is required for a given configuration.

What I would do is simple; identify the CPU/GPU you need for the gaming you do and then find the laptop that has them that runs the coolest. There are plenty of owners threads for various models here where you can ask how temps are and what can done to reduce them (undervolting, repasting and the like).
    For reference it's normal for a CPU/GPU in a notebook to venture into the 80 degree C range while gaming. When you get towards 85-90 degrees then you might get into some throttling situations.

Charles