Lowest power consumption SSD?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by w12x, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w12x

w12x Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Looking for a SSD for my new X220
    I'm considering 4 different SSDs at this time, Intel X25-M 120GB, Intel 320 120GB, Crucial C300 128GB, and Crucial M4 128GB.

Does anyone know which one of these four have the lowest power consumption? :)

2. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Intel does better than Crucial. Samsungs tend to be the lowest.

3. Phil

Phil Retired

Reputations:
  4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    As it's been stated, out of those 4 you'd be best off with Intel. Crucial tends to be higher performance so battery life usually suffers. Also are you talking about overall power consumption or just idle or doing tons of I/O.

5. pukemon

pukemon are you unplugged?

Reputations:
    intel or samsung.

6. DaMarcus

DaMarcus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Samsung 470, definitely. Phil also knows that I've checked a lot of reviews to buy the SSD with the lowest power consumption. The Samsung 470 has overall the lowest power consumption, better than the competitors from Intel and Crucial.

7. yalcin19

yalcin19 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    May I ask how important it is to comsume a fraction of watts more or less?
    Does one as a personal user get significant benefit out of this less power comsumption.
    For me it is pointless measure out of all SSD features and one should not take
    power consumption rates into consideration as buying comparison.
    Another pointless measure is MTBF from buyers perspective.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Not at all. With ULV / thin and light laptops, every Watt counts. My M11x with IGP on consumes only about 7-8W idle/surfing. If I can idle at 0.2-0.3W instead of 0.8@-1.0W then I can save a good 30-60 minutes battery. I can get nearly 8 hours battery using my Intel 120GB X25-M G2 SSD compared with only 6.5 or so with the 7200RPM HDD that it replaced.

9. yalcin19

yalcin19 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I personally got nothing out of it going from HDD to SSD. Possibly negligible
    few minutes.
    I have a 54000mW battery and it runs out in ~1.5 hours. That is 600mW per minute.
    I can do some research on power usage of all the components and add them up and show you that is neglegible.
    Maybe when I have some spare time I will do the calculations for you.

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Yes in that case it won't matter much. That's why I mentioned ULV and/or thin & light laptops and netbooks that sip power to begin with. It can garner well over an hour of battery life. I wouldn't consider the power consumption of an SSD in a desktop or desktop replacement like my Sager 17" because it would only run a matter of minutes difference.

In the case of my Hannspree notebook that I'm typing on right now, it has 55000 mWHr battery, draws about 9000mW so gives 6.1 hours battery life (55000/9000) which is about accurate with the SSD in there. If it drew 800 mW more that's 55000/9800 = 5.6 hrs battery life = half hour difference.

I have done tests between different SSD's and HDD's and can tell you for low power laptops it can make a significant difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.