Low temp but high fan

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by sarou, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tetraguy

tetraguy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Okay, the reason why yo have high fan speed it is because you have the Power Limit 1 set too 100W which triggers a fan profile that wont go lower than 2300rpm, no matter the loads of the cpu or gpu.. Alienware has it like this. if the Power Limit 1 is higher than 45W, that fan profile will be triggered and there is no way to turn it off unless you turn of performance mode. and honestly it is annoying because you want to get the best out of the cpu but the fan noise makes hard to do... so, I developed my own tool to get around it, and if you're interested, go take a look: http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-keys-tool-for-r4-17-r3-15-with-k-cpu.813397/

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Niarus

Niarus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It is misleading. Where do you get this information about wattage levels and fan profiles they trigger?

I'm running my AW17R4 7820HK at 120W all the time and when my system isn't loaded with some heavier stuff, fans are completely disabled.

And you still didn't bother to share the source code of your tool. I wouldn't touch it outside of sandbox or virtual machine.

3. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    My CPU Performance options in the BIOS are disabled as the CPU at 4.0 and voltage -100mV offset doesn't seem to break the 60W power limit so there's no throttling related to that.

I've tried setting the power limits to 0 earlier as suggested, but that didn't help me with the 1800/2300 fan speed at low usage.

4. sarou

sarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I try your solution and it’s a good solution.

5. tetraguy

Reputations:
    Here is the prolific skeptical kid again and no it's not, if you
    Dude your skepticism is becoming annoying, you acting like I need proof of every single sentence I make like I don't know what I'm talking about. You're saying you have both power limits on your Alienware notebook to 120w and fans are idled that is a big lie and imma tell you why... the reason why alienware/Dell made that the fans speed wont turn of when the power limit 1 is higher than 45W its because it is a notebook and 45w is the chip factory power limit "you can see on Intel's database " so when you overclock to let say 4.0ghz, it will need more wattage and more voltage which equals to more heat, and since it is a NOTEBOOK and alienware knows that it can overheat they make sure that even if the power limit 1 is set to even 46w the fans will run more aggressive and never stopping. Because they don't want people calling them saying that their system broke after overclocking or things related to that.. to sustain an overclock power limit one has to be set high in the bios and that triggers that fan speed... and that's the reason why I created my tool, so I can overclock with xtu, change the power limits with xtu and not deal with that super annoying fan speed and sound, specially when I'm in college... so now you should understand why I made the tool you so much cry about and fear so much, like hey I made it for myself and for people like the OP here , likes to overclock his product but don't want the bad fan noise, that was the reason for it and if you don't want to use it I really don't care, you're the one missing out.

6. Niarus

Reputations:
    Don't even want to comment.

I'll just leave this screenshot:
    [​IMG]

7. tetraguy

Reputations:
    But you're not using the Bios to set the power limits, you're using XTU.. through the bios you will get the highspeed fan profile dude.. you think you can fool me to prove your point.. a fan max speed of "0rpm" yea okey you used the hwInfo fan control tool to do that so get out of here with your lies... thx

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  8. Niarus

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm not using BIOS to set PLs. But what is the difference? Shouldn't the system be aware of this? :)

Well, if you really think that I went so low and making this up - don't judge others by your own deeds. I can be wrong, but do not lie. And I am pleased to admit my mistake, if it has a place to be.

It's you who is spreading some shady tool without sharing the code. And I wasn't the first who asked for its source, and not the last one. Also you're bragging with your great OC and didn't even bother to show the results of any benchmarks or gaming sessions, though you have time to spill this nonsense here. Well done, impudence is not an offence, it is a blessing for you.

I wouldn't be continuing this dialogue, but I want people to be cautious with characters like you.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  9. tetraguy

Reputations:
    " setting power limit through the bios is what set the fan issue the op is complaining about " damm dude I understand you get your computer infected very often on this forums but this is just incredible paranoia. And you keep asking about codes, there is none , you're like dumb or something. And I'm not bragging, I'm sharing my findings to whomever seems to care, I certainty don't. You say it is a shady tool because there's not source code "not because you tried it", I explained why there's none and you continue looking ignorant but that's the last thing imma say

10. tim184269

tim184269 Newbie

Reputations:
    on my alienware 17 r4 one fan spins up and the other fan never even when gaming but then sometimes the fan decides too completely turn on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.