Low temp but high fan

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by sarou, Feb 18, 2018.

1. sarou

sarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,

I would like to understand why my AW (7820HK / 1080 / 32Gb / 1To SSD) run fan à 2200 when my cpu temp is at 38°c?

Bios 1.2.1 + UV à -120mv

upload_2018-2-18_16-56-16.png

2. rinneh

rinneh Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Do you have CPU performance mode on?

MogRules likes this.
  3. Zerpy

Zerpy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think rinneh means "Fan Performance Mode". If you enable that it runs your fans at full speed almost regardless of temperature.

You can have CPU Performance Mode on and have Fan Performance Mode off. That's the ideal configuration.

4. sarou

sarou Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cpu performance mode is on but not fan performance.
    2200rpm @ 38 degres is stupid. I Think the bios 1.2.1 is guilty

5. Zerpy

Reputations:
    The new 1.2.4 released today addresses fan issues! It most likely will fix your issue.

6. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nope.. CPU performance mode on in bios will activate fan profile to aggressive mode which will keep the fans being triggered to run when it reaches a certain temp.. As far as I know the fan tends to start spinning aggressively when temps reaching 60 degree celcius.. As I have noticed your max temp is 60 celcius plus which is why your fan is spinning faster to the point that your current temp is low(30 celcius plus) but once the fan stop spinning and temps reaches 60 celcius again the fan will spin again causes a cycle and the reason why you are seeing high fan RPM.. Sorry for the bad english.. hope you understand what I am saying.. LOL

rinneh, alexnvidia and Zerpy like this.
  7. Zerpy

Reputations:
    My bad, CPU performance mode does indeed change the profile as you've stated. I shouldn't have assumed.

I'm on 1.2.3 and below 50c I can't hear the fan. Once it starts hitting 50c even in spikes it becomes audible. 30c-40c should be pretty silent.

The biggest issue I have is after it's ramped up it takes a long time of idling to return to slower fan speeds. Hopefully 1.2.4 improves that.

0lok likes this.
  8. alexnvidia

alexnvidia Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    i've been talking about this "issue" for quite some time but most people dont seem to care or notice this. as long as CPU performance is set to ON, the fan will always run at around 2000RPM regardless the cpu load or temp, which is really very annoying. not only it an unnecessary wear and tear, the noise is distracting and dont get me started on dust build up.

here is the reference http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-17-r4-oc-vs-stock-fan-profile.803954/

0lok likes this.
  9. 0lok

0lok Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I can understand how annoying the fans are if I were in your place.. But for my case I got the HQ processor which is not a biggy meaning no OC, less heat less fan spinning.. Hope dell make a better bios.. or hire prema then alienware will be amazing again.. hehehe..

alexnvidia likes this.
  10. tungd678

tungd678 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In my case, I don't find it annoying as it keep system's temp not being too hot, the ambient temp is 30-35*C in my place. And I dont find it that loud enough.

Attached Files: