Low Budget Gaming Laptop - A quick advice would be very helpful

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Chazy90, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chazy90

Chazy90 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What is your budget?
    400-500$ (maybe 550$)

What country will you be buying this in?
    USA

What size notebook do you prefer?
    Mainstream (15 - 16-inch screen)
    Desktop Replacement (17-inch + screen)

What brands do you like or dislike?
    Like: Asus, MSI, Samsung
    Dislike: -

Would you consider a refurbished laptop?
    Maybe

What are the primary tasks you need this notebook for?
    Web Surfing, Listening to Music, Movie Streaming and Viewing, Casual Gaming, Graphic Intense 3D Gaming

I will also use it for Chess Programms (CB11-Fritz13) that work better on quad core's.

What games will you be playing?
    Basically besides CS 1.6 i will play the latest Sports (FIFA,PES,NBA 2k), Racing (NFS,F1,Dirt) and "just" maybe some high end FPS like BF3. I'm looking for 30-40fps on "low-medium details" and lower resolutions (1024x,1280x,1366x), the only exception would be 100fps on 640x 32bit in CS 1.6 because i play regularely in online-leagues.

Where will you be using this laptop?
    Will stay on desk

How many hours of battery life do you need?
    1-2

Will you be buying online or in store?

Which OS do you prefer?
    Windows 7

List the screen resolutions that interest you:
    Standard Resolution (1366 x 768)
    High Resolution (1600 x 900)

Do you prefer a glossy or matte screen?
    Glossy or Matte is fine

Is the laptops design important to you?
    No

Approximately what date will you be buying this laptop?
    Around today until 04/17/2012

How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2-3 years

How much storage capacity do you need?
    500 GB

Are you interested in SSD for storage?
    No

Do you want a built-in optical drive, what type?
    DVD Burner

I know that this really tight budget isn't good for Gaming but I really need it only for a couple of months until i will buy me at least 1500$ beast (MSI GT780DX). After these couple of months i will just give it to my sister who doesn't play games and it will be just my replacement Laptop. But in these couple of months i would really like to play also some newer games (i've been playing CS 1.6 for years...) so I looked already for some Laptops with playable graphic cards.
    Because my budget now is restricted I think the only idea is going for AMD's. I'm not sure if a 6620g alone is enough (6520g for sure isn't) so my choices are kind of limited between these two graphic cards (6650M and 6750M) but Laptops with these dedicated graphics are refurbished.

So basically i have the choice between just a on-board 6620g but a new Laptop:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11750991&whse=BC&Ne=5000000+4000000&eCat=BC|84|56670&N=4047229%205000107&Mo=40&No=38&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

Best Buy Latest Deals - APR 1 - APR 7 - HP - 15.6" Pavilion Laptop - 6GB Memory - 640GB Hard Drive - Dark Umber

Dell - 15.6" Inspiron Laptop - 6GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive - Diamond Black - I15RM-3529BK

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5560-8480 Notebook AMD A-Series A8-3520M(1.6GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi AMD Radeon HD 6620G

Or refurbished Laptops with a dedicated graphics:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

HP - 17.3" Refurbished Pavilion Laptop - 6GB Memory - 640GB Hard Drive - Steel Gray - dv7-6165us

Newegg.com - lenovo IdeaPad Z575 (12992PU) Notebook AMD A-Series A6-3420M(1.5GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory DDR3 1333 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW AMD Radeon HD 6650M - This one isn't refurbished.

There are some things that don't matter that much to me like:
    Battery, Speaker, Noise, Touchpad, Connectivity like HDMI port...just a couple of USB's 2.0 and (W-)Lan is enough, also the Display doesn't have to be that good, design and brand

The Important things to me are:
    GPU, CPU, Keyboard, heat and reliability

Maybe I overlooked something or someone has better ideas. Every advice would be nice.:D
    Also if you know other Shops where I could look for better offers would be nice. I only know and looked at bestbuy, newegg, costco, amazon and a bit on ebay. The reason is because i'm not from the USA, so a friend who is on vacation will buy it for me. So a global warranty would be a problem with the refurbished Laptops (i'm not sure if the have one) besides that I didn't have any experience with one so i don't know what to expect.

Thanks in advance for everyone who is trying to help me with this problem. I'm quite new here but i read a lot in this forum and saw a lot of people that are willing to help. So without posting that much I've learned a lot surfing through this forum. :D

PS: In these Dual GPU AMD's there were problems with older games like CS 1.6 and disabling the on-board GPU but if I understood the topic in the HP Forum this is fixed with the latest BIOS, isn't it?

Sorry if this post a bit too long. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2015
  2. fluffydelusions

fluffydelusions Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. Chazy90

Reputations:
    Well a 540M + i5 wouldn't be that much better than the 6750M + A8 but much more stable because of the driver issues no? I also heard about some heat and throttling issues with the Acer Aspires, is this one of them?
    Maybe in a few days there will be a similar offer somewhere.

4. fluffydelusions

fluffydelusions Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah just wait. Hopefully new announcements this week. I personally used that acer for a few months and it played everything although not max for newer games. Bf3 I could do medium. Wasn't crazy about the resolution but had no issues with the laptop itself for that price.

5. Karamazovmm

Karamazovmm Overthinking? Always!

Reputations:
    Lets clarify things a bit.

The 6750m is going to be a fair bit faster than the 540m. There is no driver issues, and if there are some older games that wont trigger the 6750m, you can just lock the 6750m for it work, much like what you would with optimus.

There are no current Aspires that throttle. Only the TimelineX line that does that. Specially the 13'' model with the 540m.

Yes the best in that line up that you made is the refurbed dv7, go for it, its in a good price.

6. Chazy90

Reputations:
    @Mr MM:
    Thanks for the clarifying post!
    Well it's pretty clear that i'm going for the HP dv7 if I succeed to get that extra 100$...if not the Asus K53TA will have to make it.

If there won't be any new good offer in the next 2-3 days i've kinda made my choice.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.