Lost both GPU some help and advice please.

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Hully333, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Hully333

Hully333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm going to see how it is for now, going to put it back together and try elite dangerous then to bed as it's late and I'm almost worn out

many thanks for your help, I am truly thankful and to this forum

I'll report my findings tomorrow

MagicMike and Maxware79 like this.
  2. Hully333

Reputations:
    So to round up my recent exploits.

After installing the card i tested Elite Dangerous. All seemed fine. Performance was good, better than when i had dual 675m cards and had no problems running my dual screen set up with the HDMI port.

I put the laptop to sleep until the morning. In the morning i powered on and i could see the desktop resolution was lower so right-clicked desktop and the nvidia control panel was missing. The GFX card in device manager had the exclamation mark next to it. I rebooted at this point, and that problem went away, it was back to how i left it. I am not sure if that repeats at this point as i have always shut down instead of "sleep" from there on with no issues. I tested SG mode by rebooting and making that change, but lost my second screen using HDMI. Windows wouldnt detect the second monitor. So i switched back to PEG and that resolved immediately. I installed GEForce experience, and looked at driver updates, it reported that i had already installed the latest version, but there is a little contention;

Device Manager properties of the driver : version 10.18.13.5382 Date 07/08/2015 (Not sure if this is dd/mm or mm/dd)
    GeForce Experience : Version 353.82 Release Date 07/14/2016 (mm/dd/yyyy)
    I used GeForce to Optimize my settings and have done further testing.

So now i have a perfectly running machine that doesnt seem to have any problems. Job done and thanks all and i hope this may help someone else that finds their way to this configuration.

Summary for using a Gtx 970m on M18x R2
    You definitely need to flash the bios to A11 unlocked from a dos prompt. I was on A14 and i removed the gtx 970m to do that and installed after flashing the bios. (8 bleeps became 5 and then fell silent).
    You need to immediately make the change to PEG and restart.
    Right-clicking the Microsoft Basic Display device and choosing update driver did indeed install the correct driver using online.
    You can use GeForce Experience without issues.
    You can use a second display using PEG without issues using HDMI

Also, during assembly, i took the opportunity to reseat the CPU as well with fresh thermal paste, and hardware monitor is reporting considerable, over 25C temp reduction from when i last looked. The fans have been on max once for a very brief time during yesterday, It is quiet as a mouse right now and i am very happy.

I assume if i wanted to go to 980m or higher i could easily from here

Cheers........

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  3. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Awesome. Let us know if the problem comes back. Did it say Error 43? It could have been an issue with the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Next you’ll have to throw a second card in her and get SLI back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Hully333

Reputations:
    After running now for some time, its running great. The sleep issue only happened the once, on the first occurrence. It can sleep and wake at anytime.

Maxware79 likes this.
  6. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Good luck with your recovery

Hully333 likes this.
  7. Damin

Damin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    take the battery out and the cmos one to remove the ram and drain all the power ...if u have a reset button use that to .it fixed my AW18 gpu issue