Lost both GPU some help and advice please.

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Hully333, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Hully333

Hully333 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi and so glad I have found this forum and thanks to all that read this.

I have an Alienware M18x R2 it had dual gtx 675m gpus sli with triple pipe heat sinks. WINDOWS 10. A14 bios.

About 6 months ago one gpu failed and that was removed and it's been running on a single card until yesterday and the other card has died now too....RIP. It is now running on integrated Intel only.

I'm recovering from lung surgery and serious illness and spending most of the day in bed and playing my beloved Elite Dangerous is the only thing keeping my sanity but can't at the moment. I have managed to strip down my machine to test and confirm, then remove the faulty card.

So here's the bit of help i need.

There are so many models of cards after mine I'm thinking I might as well get a little upgrade while I'm at it but I can't be spending too much time on my feet bending over a laptop and stressing about with bios and drivers etc. I'm after the best card i can get pain free with just swapping heatsink over and plugging it in. Not too fussed about having single card as long as it runs Elite Dangerous, which my single 675m did (despite that it doesnt meet their requirements though but it worked) on low settings. it's just to get me through as I'll worry about a better upgrade path when I'm well again.

Is it the 880m all all below it ?

NB. A14 bios and Windows 10

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. sqjay

sqjay Newbie

Reputations:
    MagicMike likes this.
  3. Hully333

Reputations:
    many thanks sqjay simple but it's helped out a lot thank you

4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. Hully333

Reputations:
    Does it matter that some say "clevo" as I'm not sure what that means. A!so some seem to be marked up as MSI does that matter as well ?

Also, the 980 is not plug and play from what I have read, is that true?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  6. Hully333

Reputations:
    Well I bought a gtx 970m and it arrived not a mark on it, heat plate not a blemish looks new. but plugged it in and fails post with 8 bleeps, unplug and boots fine

Is my card faulty or do I need to flash the bios away from A14 so that this card is recognised as I was led to believe the txt 970m was plug and play

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  7. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I didn't think the 900 series were plug and play. You will probably need the unlocked A11 BIOS and a modded driver.

8. Hully333

Reputations:
    Ahh, ok before seeing this i created dos usb device and flashed to unlocked A11 bios sucessful. I see sv17 mod too left in bios. Switched on and then 5 bleeps not 8. I read somewhere to reset, so I removed cmos battery, pressed power button for 30 secs, arced pins, reconnected battery and power, rebooted no bleeps at all, however gpu not seen in bios nor Windows boots fine with integrated

9. Maxware79

Reputations:
    You usually get the 5 beeps the first time after doing the flash. It sorts itself out after that. Jumping the pins will reset the BIOS settings. What Video mode are you on in the BIOS? If you go to the second Advanced tab you can take a look. It will show either PEG, SG or iGFX.
    Also, does your BIOS show NVIDIA GFX on the main screen or just Integrated?

Also, I did hear that you no longer needed a modded driver with the 900 series but I've heard from other people saying that they still needed to run a modded driver. I'm not sure what the truth is since I don't have one of those cards.

EDIT: With my 1070 I had to run in SG mode but I think you use PEG with the 970/980M. I'm not certain though so you may want someone else to confirm that. With SLI, the machine can't run SG (optimus) so you either have to be on the Integrated graphics or Dedicated (Nvidia). Usually you'd have to press Function F7 (I think) to swap and restart. If you were to look in Device Manager you would only see the GPU currently selected instead of both like you do on SG. If your BIOS only shows the Integrated Graphics then I'm assuming you are on the wrong video mode. Switching to PEG should fix this unless your GPU is dead.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
  10. Maxware79

Reputations:
    Also, mess with your BIOS settings at your own risk. You can usually fix most issues by jumping the CMOS pins but you never know what could go wrong.