Losing various logins over and over

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by SL2, Nov 22, 2020.

1. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not sure what's going on here. I was running Blender, didn't have enough RAM for a stupid test, and it crashed. Event viewer complained about lack of virtual memory, fair enough.

Opera seems to have crashed at the same time, and all the passwords for logins seems to be gone. This isn't the first time it has happened. Youtube individual suggestions gone. Google and Youtube asked me to click I Agree again for their EULA or whatever it's called, but I still see hundreds of cookies in Opera settings. Other site settings also gone.

What's even weirder is that the same thing happened in ME, all passwords GONE.
    My VPN program got logged out as well, which I'd guess has nothing to do with the other programs. This one I know for sure it wasn't started when the crash occurred, not so sure about ME.

I can't imagine all those logins being stored in the same place?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    When a program crashes nothing is saved so unless you changed your browser setting to default save login and password it won't save them when you first entered them. I know Chrome, FF, Edge has the save option but during crashes anything is lost so unless those were saved prior usage during crashes most if all were lost. Crashes can affect alot of running software regardless.

3. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I've had that happen to me a few times in Chrome after I spend a full day logging to every site, shopping site, forum, etc. If I have a crash while Chrome is open due to memory or overclocking then it would clear all my cookies, very annoying.

SL2 likes this.
  4. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, it's annoying for sure. The thing is tho, it's not related to crashes in general.
    I close every program that's running one by one, and then shut down Windows. When I boot the next time it's all (see OP) gone.
    Also, it's a lot programs, not just one. Github, Opera, ME, Onedrive (yeah shoot me), CyberGhost.

Last week it happened every time I booted, but then it stopped. Today it happened again. FML.

Right now I'm leaning towards reinstalling Windows, as I have no idea what else to do.

5. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Just out of curiosity, make sure you uncheck clearing cookies in any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. I always uncheck clearing cookies from all browsers as it is in a pain in the butt to be relogging in to every freakin' site again.

Papusan and SL2 like this.
  6. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, I haven't touched any settings like that, and I can see loads of cookies stored. Also, three out of five programs aren't browsers and have no cookies.

Just did another restart. I saw that some site cookie data were lost. Went back to this thread, and to my surprise I was still logged in, but when I hit F5 I got logged out.

7. SL2

SL2 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well, my pagefile was set to zero, I'd forgotten about that.
    I changed it when I tried to find out why Blender ran out of RAM. My login here survived the latest restart (with pagefile) at least. :D

Last time I thought I'd fixed it, it worked flawlessly for a week, so I'm not very optimistic just yet.
    Besides, I had the same issues before changing the pagefile in the first place..

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you try to run in Safe Mode? That would be the test.