Looking to replace T440p with a similar upgradeable, storage beast

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by cm0002, Nov 10, 2021.

1. cm0002

cm0002 Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    <$1000 (The cheaper the better)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Lenovo
    b. Dislike: HP, Dell, Alienware, any brand that's considered "constantly overpriced" i.e. Alienware
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Absolutely, in fact I would prefer it! I'm not looking to buy new.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    A little of everything, Programming, video editing, light-moderate 3D modeling (Mostly for 3D printing), light-moderate gaming, VMs, low-level stuff. I'm a "jack of all trades" type so I need something that can adapt with me with lots of storage slots and ports.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    It will be going everywhere I go, but to be clear I do NOT care about thickness or size, I will deal with it no matter how thick or big it is as long as it fits my requirements.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes, likely NMS, Star Trek Online, RS3, OSRS

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not a concern, my car has an outlet and I haven't flown on a plane that didn't have an outlet in like years lol

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    I don't care what it comes with, but I don't care for Win11 so I would much rather have a cheap, but powerful older laptop than something that can comply with Win11 requirements.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Min 1080p, after that I really don't care anymore

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Either is fine, I don't really care

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Nope, I need something that can get the job done, not something that can "fit in", I really don't care if it looks like a brick or boxy (I might even prefer it lol)

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    At purchase, I don't really care, what I need is the expandability more than anything. I have enough parts and hardware to fill out 6 laptops XD

I'm looking for something that has as many NVMe and SATA bays as possible.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Whenever

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5-6 Years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    A longggg time

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I don't care for warranty much, I fix things on my own

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have a T440p right now, but it's maxed out on upgrades and getting older and I'm looking to replace it. So basically what I want is another T440p ie something I can grab for cheap off eBay that might be a little older, but with GREAT upgrade potential.

I need a storage beast, with as many NVMe slots and SATA bays as possible and also LTE upgradeable, my 440 has LTE and frankly I cant ever go back :). Like the 440p, I don't care if it looks like a brick and is built like a tank either.

Also, I would not mind at all for an unpopular/unknown/weird brand as long as its decent, like maybe a Fujitsu or something

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you like Lenovo and want a good deal on one, I'd suggest hitting their outlet. Outlet items are usually returns sold with a discount. This seemed like a good fit. Good luck and welcome to NBR.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A Dell Precision should offer the hardware you're looking for, including LTE in the higher-end models (7000 series). Your budget is low for what you're asking; check eBay and the Dell Outlet.
    The Lenovo ThinkPad P-series and the HP ZBook line are alternatives. Both have outlets, too.

Charles

4. boober

boober Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've been looking for something similar — my current laptop has 2 x 2.5 and 2 x m.2, all of which are in use. I can't find anything below $2,000 (I haven't bothered looking at that price point) with more than three slots, and have only found two models that have three slots. Everything else has two.

Both of these have 2 x m.2 and 1 x 2.5":

Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-54-760S
    CLEVO NH58HJQ / NH58HPQ / NH58HKQ

I've found both at around $1,100 - $1,200, so you can probably find something closer to $1,000 or less that's more bare bones than I've been searching for.

If anyone knows of a laptop that's got four slots / bays and GPU / CPU gaming specs, I'd like to know about it!

5. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get busy.
    https://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?d...w&category_id=220&subcats=Y&features_hash=V22

boober likes this.
  6. boober

boober Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Funny, I had come across RJ Tech before, but didn't bother to look at their site. I was checking it out when I saw your notification come in. Definitely worth browsing, but I'm seeing that most come in above my budget (about $1,500) and only have three drive slots. I'm also partial to 15.6" models — I've never owned anything larger. It looks like the X170KM has four SSD slots, but that's also above my budget.

I appreciate the pointer!

7. N2ishun

N2ishun Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I got mine (in sig) from rjtech, superb service, very fast shipping.
    I have 2-gen3 pciex4 nvme slots and a 2.5 ssd, all full of course.
    It will do raid across the nvme's...but why ?

boober likes this.