Looking to replace my aging Alienware 17 R1 not sure where to go

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by dragonwolf8504, Sep 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonwolf8504

dragonwolf8504 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With Nvidia pushing the envelope with it's new 1000 series I figure now would be a good time if any to buy. Since my Alienware 17 with it's GTX 770M is showing it's age and has been for awhile. *See signature for full specs*

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Up to $3000 but really prefer to keep it as low as possible without compromising on gaming capabilities

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    DTR 17"+ I don't have room for any desktops of any sort sadly, My AW17 kind of pushes my space, but I don't want smaller than a 17" laptop.
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Love the build quality of my Alienware 17 R1 as well as the keyboard, MSI, Asus it just depends on if things are running cool.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No, buying on credit card

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming, Gaming, Gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Yes, Ark Survival Evolved is probably the hardest hitting on graphics that I own for now.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Would like 3+ hours of non gaming use (movie watching etc.) but I know Gaming laptops batteries never last long.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Prefer to touch, but I live out in the boonies so may not be feasible. So buying without seeing is ok.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows, prefer Windows 7, but gonna need to move with the times.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

17" 1920x1080p display is what I am used to. I want as much eye candy enabled in my games as possible with as high an fps as possible. As long as I can play at 1080p I'll be happy. If the gpu can push higher resolutions without much compromise then I'm ok with going up in resolution.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    MATTE display if all possible. No glares for me please.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Yes, I love customizing my AW 17's lighting system

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within the next few weeks hopefully

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    My AW 17 has lasted me 3 years so, 3 years at least please, longer if possible.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    SSD, yes. HDD Space, at least 1TB of space if not more.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Would like a Blu-ray reader/ burner, but also like the idea of the slimmer AW 17's out so I could always buy an external optical drive down the road.

2. bobeer86

bobeer86 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    why not just get a new gpu? your box is one of the last aliens to come with socketed parts and you could easily "survive" another year or two of gaming on a 970m or 980m, especially at 1080. they sell for anywhere between $500-800 on ebay or you could talk to woodzstack and see if you can work something out - he is very well known and reputable around here and just happens to sell factory-fresh 970/980's on the forums. that's still much less than getting a new box and you can enjoy superb build quality etc you got used to.

p.s. if you go with 980m you will most likely need a new heatsink - 770m's usually came with 75W ones and 980m requires 100W part.

3. dragonwolf8504

Reputations:

Because, I'm not doing that kind of stuff. I'm not comfortable doing so. I know nothing of modding bios, not to mention i dont use optimus mode. I just use the dedicated gpu mode. Which from my understanding i would need to use to run a modded gpu.

That and it's my girlfriend who is helping me so Im giving her my old alienware as a 'thank you'.

Also from what I read, even the 1070 gpu would blow a 980m out of the water. Why would I spend 500 to almost 1000 bucks on only a gpu when I could have a full setup with warranty for the next couple years and know I'm safe for a little more per month? I know your only pointing out a potential fix and appreciate it, but it's not what I wish to do.

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Upgrading gpus is super cool, but having done it, makes little economic sense if you don't sell the old one for a good price. The 770m won't fetch enough. Also the 980m kinda sucks compared to literally all 10 series cards that are out.

Many of the old Alienware enthusiasts have been switching to Clevo. The P870DM has a desktop cpu and up to 1080 sli. Now 1080 sli is a little crazy price wise, but it does come with a 1440p 120Hz GSync display, which is absolutely awesome that laptops are doing that now. The MSI GT73VR also has a 120Hz display and 1070 sli or a 1080. The Clevo P775DM can also have a desktop cpu and 1080.

Here's a link to the P870DM: https://lpc-digital.com/product/sager-np9873-special-clevo-p870dm3/

5. dragonwolf8504

Reputations:
    What I was thinking, I think even the GTX 1060's are pretty close to the 980M's. Correct me if I'm wrong. I would love to get into the VR stuff as well down the road and the 10 series is more suited for that. My old AW17 probably would be best off with my girlfriend specially since it's all because of her I'd be able to get a new computer anyhow.

That Clevo does look really nice. heck a GTX 1080 would last me years! But I heard the Clevo/Sager sound systems sucked. (Any laptop has that possibility really) I like my AW17's speakers. I will check into the MSI one's as well.

6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    The 1060 handily beats the 980m. Not sure about speakers. I know the Clevo's have been getting DACs now so the headphones sound awesome. I believe the high end Clevo's have decent speakers now, but nothing special. MSI has easily the best speakers I've heard on laptops. So that may be a good option to you. I would weigh out 1440p 120hz on the Clevo vs the beastly speakers of the MSI and pick which you value more. Both laptops are beastly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.