Looking to purchase a gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by zippygeorgeandben, May 26, 2020.

1. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I have copied and pasted the form and I really look forward to reading your advice.
    I was actually was signposted to this forum by a review of a laptop on pcgamer.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    £1300-£1600 (would like mouse recommendation too)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    N/A
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming/Watching live sports/netflix/websurfing/working remotely/no videoing editing needed

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Would not say so - normally I just have it at home with me. Would not be taking it to work with me, but maybe out to a cafe/bar

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes - WOW Shadowlands (due out before end of 2020)
    Recommended Requirements CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU SPEED: Info RAM: 8 GB OS: Windows 10 64-bit VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 or AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 PIXEL SHADER: 5.1 VERTEX SHADER: 5.1 FREE DISK SPACE: 100 GB DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 8192 MB
    Citi Skylines/FM2020/have never played any games other than these on a PC so potentially there is the chance of looking at high end games (but I normally leave that to the playstation)

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not sure of the answer to this but I normally always take the charger with me anywhere I go.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online is fine - I did purchase an MSI on 2015 but it was far too noisy and bulky (17") and I sent it back to Amazon.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Currently I have a MacBook early 2015 model so I think 5 years life is not bad and I am due an upgrade really. Working from home over the past couple of months I have found my MacBook frustrating as working remotely i really need a windows based laptop for accessing word/powerpoint and I can navigate much better. Also, the battery dies between 25-35% now, needing replacing. Coconutbattery has it at 717 cycle out of 1000.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Will edit this when I see what it said at the bottom of the OP!

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    I would prefer a non-glossy screen although I would not really be using it in bright light when indoors.
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    I would rather it be a little discreet in appearance however it isn't a dealbreaker
    Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I guess this depends on the games I have on the laptop?
    Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5+ years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    A month - I do not need it for work but I do occasionally take it out at the weekend to work on. I have a desktop at home but this is also quite old, hence me choosing a laptop over a desktop as the laptop needs to be replaced, the desktop doesn't (yet).

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Would be willing to pay extra

I would like to be able to transfer years worth of documents over from my desktop to a new laptop but also, crucially, I have years worth of music on my current desktop in iTunes which is not on CDs or available on Spotify. My iTunes is a mess, duplicates of tracks/various iTunes folders/sub folders. I require some of this music for work so I would like to know whether it is easy to transfer this music from my current desktop to a laptop (although I guess I then have the added thought of 'How do I burn a CD?' because laptop doesn't have this and I normally use a YouTube to MP3 burning program too. These aren't deal breakers but things I would be considering. Do I need to have iTunes at all? It just all plays through iTunes because of various music/videos purchased and added throughout the years.

Speaking of considering, I have looked a lot at the Asus Zephyr G14 range, however, in the past 2 days I have really liked the look of
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...en-r9-4900h-grey-gaming-laptop-lt-29y-as.html
    This is currently £1399.99
    I then watched this video review.

I know this is for the R7 4800H and the one I have linked is the next one in line.

Many thanks for reading.