Looking to Buy Premium Windows Ultrabook to Replace Mac Air

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Jorban, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Jorban

Jorban Newbie

Reputations:
    I've have a macbook air since 2011. My favorite thing about it is the sturdy build quality and awesome track pad. However I'm switching back to Windows now, and I'd like to get a premium Ultrabook. I'm thinking the Razer Stealth. Although it feels like a ripoff compared to the Dell XPS 13 which seems to be universally praised. I want an ultrabook that can survive an accidental fall onto my carpet from my bed (a couple feet). I want as smooth and responsive a trackpad as possible, and I only do SSD. I don't need a dedicated GPU. I don't care about touch screens, and I'd prefer a sturdy traditional design over some weird flexible transforming doohickey.

1) What is your budget?
    ~$1500... or more

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen, ~3 lbs
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Not really
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Internet surfing, 2d game programming, possibly video editing stuff

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    No, I have a gaming laptop already

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Would like at least 8 hours of doing solid tasks

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I would prefer to see them as I like to test out the trackpads and keyboards

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    At least 1080

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Not important to me

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No, but its sturdiness is.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    As soon as I can make a decision.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    At least 5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    SSD essential, at least 256gb

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No.

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The ThinkPad X1 Carbon is worth a look, though it'll be tough to see in a store. Good luck and welcome to NBR.

3. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The 13.3" Dell Latitude 7380 (and just announced 7390) is very similar to the XPS13 but built to survive business usage. You might also want to look at the Latitude 7480. I would also recommend considering stock from Dell Outlet as you can save up to around 50%. Unless a notebook is described as "scratch & dent" then it will look like new (and may be a cancelled order) and has the same warranty as brand new.

John

4. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    XPS 13. Macbook killer. If you owned a macbook you most definently treat it with kids gloves since they dent if you look at them wrong. So, You will have no problems with the quality of the Dell XPS. The 13 with 4k infinity edge display is awesome. If you want to give up a small amount of performance, get a xps 13 2 in 1, and enjoy the best of computing with touch, pen and tablet support.

5. Jorban

Jorban Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm really liking the X1 Carbon and am impressed at how lightweight it is while being a 14" rather than a 13". I'll keep my fingers crossed I can see some sort of thinkpad in a store just to test out the trackpad and keyboard.

I'm gonna have to wait a little bit longer for the new model to come out for the X1C, because right now the Latitudes and XPS13 have the new gen 8 processors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the new gen 8 processors have 4 cores instead of 2, so I should definitely wait for the X1C to release with that.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    kojack likes this.
  6. Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the new X1C has been announced and previewed with a greatly improved screen (it's main weakness in earlier versions) and has gone back to the top of my "I wish I could justify buying this" list.
    It has the 8th gen cpu.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/thinkpad-x1-carbon-2018-price-specs-release-date

From building several earlier gen X1C laptops for clients, I can tell you that their keyboards are MILES better than any other laptop I've used, including the XPS13

Jorban likes this.
  7. Jorban

Jorban Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, just one more contender that I wanted to get your thoughts on. It's the HP Spectre x360 13". The main reason I like it is because I typically like hp's keyboards (very snappy), and this is by far the best deal I can find. I can get it with 512gb SSD and a 4k display for only $1230. To get those specs on an XPS 13 I'd have to spend a little over $2000, and I'm guessing definitely much more than that for the X1C. Any strong reasons to avoid the spectre x360?

Here's the link where I customized the specs. Adding the 512GB SSD and 4K display makes it $1230 from $999.
    http://store.hp.com/us/en/Configure...7345618598818&quantity=1&color=Natural+Silver

8. Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a 4k display on my 15" laptop and deeply regret it. I have several vital work apps that don't scale properly and it's very annoying.
    Of course your situation may be different, but I'd be careful before going for 4k on a laptop. Especially with a 13" screen, can you really see the difference? You can certainly see the reduced battery life....

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like a nice device.

10. Jorban

Jorban Newbie

Reputations:
    Haha, true. I gotta be careful not to get sucked into these crazy resolutions that probably need a huge tv to notice the difference. Thx for the heads up.