Looking to buy my first gaming laptop and having trouble deciding

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Nates4Christ, Dec 17, 2018.

1. billycuth

billycuth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    "almost all"

plus, adding cooling mods is considered "tender lovin' care" in my book.

Point is, almost none work straight out of the box without thermal issues. I've yet to find one, but I've read they do exist (like the Lenovo Y730)

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    The MSI GT series does thanks to it's awesome Titan Boost fans

3. ApostateTapir

ApostateTapir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This! I have a GP73 with 8750H and GTX 1060. With HIDevolution's top thermal upgrade package and some custom fan curve tweaking in Dragon Center, I haven't broken 80 degrees while gaming for a couple hours at a time.

I'll play a couple hours of Black Ops 4 tonight and I'll screenshot my HWiNFO64 temps as well as the in-game GPU temp reading. I can also screenshot the Dragon Center CPU/GPU fan curves for you. Black Ops 4 is notoriously heavy and runs hot from what I've read. I run mine at 110-120 FPS, so the GPU is cranked up for sure.

Ultra Male likes this.
  4. ApostateTapir

ApostateTapir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Here are the screenshots I talked about. I only had enough time to play for an hour today, but it doesn't really get any hotter after another hour of play in my experience. The GPU maxed at 71 degrees according to BO4. It would max during a round, then come down to 59-62 degrees in between rounds.

CODScreenshot.jpg

After I exited the game, here's the screenshot of the CPU temp tracking.

CODTemps.jpg

I have quite an aggressive fan curve for both my GPU and CPU.

CPUCurve.jpg

GPUCurve.jpg

I don't like that the Dragon Center interface doesn't show the actual temp of the curve hit points. I need to look for an alternate program that will let me control the fan curve based on the temp readings and not just a scale of how hot it is, which is more or less useless without a lot of trial and error.

If anyone knows of such a program, I would love to hear about it!

Also, I don't have an HWiNFO64 reading for the GPU, since it wants to read the eGPU instead of my 1060.

Ultra Male likes this.
  5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Download the new HWiNFO 6.0 and unzip the file to the location where you have the old one overwriting the old files. Then launch the program and search in the settings where you can reset them back to defaults then try again

2018-12-21_085445.jpg