Looking to buy my first gaming laptop and having trouble deciding

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Nates4Christ, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Nates4Christ

Nates4Christ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ) What is your budget?
    $1400

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Lenovo
    b. Dislike: HP, MSI
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Mostly Web Browsing and typing, but I want the ability to play my games on it from time to time.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes I will be traveling with this laptop a bunch. I'd like one that is fairly durable. It does not have to be super light.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Yes. Borderlands 2, Destiny 2, and Battlefield 1 along with a bunch of indies.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    2 hours

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online without seeing is OK. I've already been to the bestbuy and walmart.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p, I would like a 120 or 144 hz screen.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Not sure

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I want something like a 256 nvme ssd for OS and I already have a 1 TB 2.5" ssd purchased for game storage.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    I'm hoping Dec 20-Jan

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    5 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    I could do without it

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    I'm not worried about warrentys.

So I would like a laptop with a 1070 in it. However I'm not finding any in my range or really very many period. I would like a current gen i7. I did find the MSI GP63 for $1400 and I bought it. I sent it back because I did not like it. I had too much vibration when the fans kicked on and I had problems with the space bar not working all the time.

Some of my top picks right now are the Overpowered Walmart one for $900, the Costco Lenovo Y7000 for $950, Walmart's Asus Rog Strix II Hero, and an Eluctronics G1. A lot of the laptops now are then and light but I'm willing to get a heavy one if it has better cooling and is more durable. I'm also considering waiting for the 2060 laptops, because I heard they might release in January.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

I tried to find laptops for you that might make your budget but there aren't many: noteb search result.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

The only one with the GTX 1070 is the MSI GP63, but you already said that one was not to your liking.

Your next best option is the Tongfang GK5CN6Z. It's the Overpowered from Walmart or the Lenovo Legion Y7000.

If you increase your budget a little bit more, you might get the MSI GE63VR with the GTX 1070, and that's about it.

As for the GTX 2060. Firstly the new Nvidia 2xxx series are bound to be more expensive than the current one, so expect more expensive laptops. The GTX 2060 will probably see the light of day in early spring since the GTX 2070, and GTX 2080 are the first one slated for mobile release. It will also take about a month from the time of the announcement to the time when the laptops will start shipping with the new GPUs.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. ApostateTapir

ApostateTapir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The setup in my signature cost me $1419 from HIDevolution.

Ultra Male likes this.
  4. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
  5. ApostateTapir

ApostateTapir Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm crazy in love with it. CPU is benching at 1297 and the OS is snappy as hell after Alpha's tweaking. Also, with the HIDevolution thermal upgrades and some custom fan tweaking, I'm barely hitting 75° while gaming for a couple hours straight.

Ultra Male likes this.
  6. billycuth

billycuth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've seen you lurking around in a few forums I post in Nates4Christ. The struggle is real for me too.

I've been through:
    RB15 advanced - $1,999
    Alienware M15 - $1,691
    Aero 15W - $1,599
    OP 15+ - $699

Ordered, but ultimately canceled because they would take too long:
    Lenovo Legion Y730 (GTX 1050 Ti) - $982
    Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (GTX 1050 Ti w/ 4K screen) - $1,469
    Lenovo Legion Y530 - $1,032 (with a GTX 1060)

Just ordered:
    RBS 2019: $1,599 (think it's overpriced but want to see what it's about)
    RB15 Base - $1,599 (it's got the 256GB SSD and 2TB storage, on sale for $200 off at Best Buy)

Overall I still like the M15 the best, but I don't love the price and I don't trust it to last long term based on the temps it gets to. Plus I want just a little more portability than it can offer. But it's a beast!

I don't know. I've never been so indecisive. If you go with a lower spec AW, just make sure to extend your warranty. That's all I can say.

Like you, I am not an HP or MSI fan at all.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  7. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I would say the MSI GS65 is ok only if you get it with the thermal mod.
    The Razer Blade 2018H2 released this autumn is not a bad laptop, in my opinion, I know they are not cooling the VRM well, and there are some throttling and software issues, but once you get past those, it's a nice machine. My only gripe with it is the price, and for the price, you shouldn't have to "gripe" with anything.

8. billycuth

billycuth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree, but what I am learning is that almost all 8750H based gaming laptops require some tender loving care to get the temps in check...

9. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    not if you buy it from HIDevolution with their cooling mods.

10. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That is absolutely true. But depending on model, your tweaking effort may vary significantly.

It can vary from just some better thermal paste (no necessarily liquid metal).

To liquid metal + undervolting and still overheating (like the Aero or Clevo P955E).