Looking to buy a high-end Desktop Replacement Laptop ($4k budget)

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by TMAY, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMAY

TMAY Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm interested in everyone's opinion on a new high-end desktop replacement laptop. My current desktop is a custom built system that is 5+ years old that I will be converting / upgrading to a gaming only system for the kids.

I originally considered the MacBook Pro (2018) (i9, 32BG, 1TD SSD) but have decided to stay with PC/Win 10.

After some research over the weekend, I really like the Dell Precision 7530 with the following specs:

- i9-8950HK
    - NVIDIA Quadro P3200 w/6GB GDDR5
    - 32GB DDR4 Memory
    - 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD
    - 15.6" UltraSharp UHD IGZO, 3840x2160

Would be interested in hearing other options that may fit my needs. I don't mind spending money for quality products.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    $4,000 - The MacBook Pro I spec'ed out w/ Apple Care was above $4,000.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

* I'll be connecting the laptop to dual Dell 27 4K monitors.

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: Dell, Lenova, ASUS, MSI, etc..
    b. Dislike: Going to pass on Apple.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

- This will be a productivity laptop. I will be doing software / web development (Visual Studio), Database Development (SQL Server, PostgreSQL). Will also be doing sports photography and video editing. General business apps.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

- 90% of the time the laptop will stay on the desktop, but I want the mobility when I do travel.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

- I will NOT be playing any games on this laptop.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

- The majority of the time it will be connected to power. Let's say a minimum of 4 hours if I took a flight to either coast.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

- I don't necessary need to see the laptop before purchasing.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 10 Pro (Primary). Will also be installing a VM for Ubuntu.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    4K display.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

- Would prefer matte / non-glossy.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Yes - I do not want a gamer looking laptop. It doesn't have to be the world's thinnest laptop either. Would prefer a more simple / business look. (ie. MacBook Pro)

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

- Start with 1TB with the ability to upgrade later.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

- Sept 2018

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

- Hopefully for several years. Would like it to be upgradable (RAM, SSD, etc...)

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

I'd be OK for a week or so. I have a separate laptop that I use for my day job.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

- On-site warranty work would be preferred if the price was decent.

2. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I recommend you this one:

Custom Built MSI WS63 8SL-015 15.6" UHD w/ NVIDIA Quadro® P4200

or

Custom Built Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ 4K UHD Touch nVIDIA GTX 1050Ti and i7-8750H or i9-8950HK

HIDevolution has superb build quality and customer service. You also get life time tech support with the purchase of a laptop from them which is stellar from what I and everyone here on the forum has experienced.

Now if you get the Dell, in addition to HIDevolution's warranty. you also get Dell's on site tech support so you are in safe hands either ways.

I recommend you to email donald@hidevolution.com to get the NBR discount or better yet just call them and speak to him he's a great person to talk to and always has great advice and will recommend you what you need and not oversell you just to get the max $$ from your purchase.

camberman3000 and Arrrrbol like this.
  3. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Stick with the Precision 7530, but I'd get it with a 5 year, next day warranty but it will cost an extra $300. The MSI WE63 and the HP ZBook 15 are also worth taking a look at.

GrandesBollas likes this.
  4. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't know if you need the expensive Quadro for your work requirements. I think you'd benefit more from a desktop CPU, better upgrade-ability, and serviceability. Have you looked at the P750tm?

For example:

EVOC High Performance Systems P750TM1-G 15.6"

LCD Panel
    15.6" 4K (3840x2160) AUO IPS Antiglare Matte Type Display (B156ZAN02.3) - NO G-Sync - $150.00

Display Calibration
    Yes, display professionally calibrated w/ profile saved to USB drive - $50.00

Minimize LCD Backlight Bleed
    Yes, quality check and give me a panel with minimal backlight bleed. - $100.00

Display Warranty
    None - up to 3 lit pixels considered OK

Video Card
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 w/ 6GB GDDR5 - NVIDIA G-Sync Enabled (G-Sync with FHD panels ONLY)

Prema Custom BIOS
    Prema Custom BIOS - Latest Updated Version once available - Contact us for details

Processor
    HIDevolution Delidded - Unlocked and Under Volted 8th Gen Limited Edition Intel Core i7-8086K 6 Core-12 Thread Processor, 4.8 GHz (Rated to 5.0GHz) - Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut included - $210.00

Thermal Interface Materials
    Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces – BEST PERFORMANCE - $30.00

Memory
    32GB (2 x 16GB) HIDevolution Approved Premium Dual Channel DDR4/2666MHz - $205.00

RAID Options
    no RAID (1st drive as primary boot drive, 2nd drive as storage drive)

M.2 SSD Slot 1 (supports M.2 PCIe and SATA)
    Samsung 970 Pro 1TB M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D-VNAND SSD - Up to 3,500 MB/s Read-2,700 MB/s Write - $695.00

M.2 PCIe NVMe or SATA SSD Slot 2
    None

1st 2.5" HDD/SSD Bay
    Empty HDD bay (with caddy/adapter) - -$30.00

2nd 2.5" HDD/SSD Bay
    Empty HDD bay (with caddy/adapter)

Wireless Cards
    Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 802.11 ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 NGFF w/ Bluetooth 5.0 - installed by HIDevolution - $30.00

Operating System
    Genuine Windows® 10 Pro, 64bit, English - $130.00

Operating System Reinstallation Media
    OS Reinstallation + Drivers USB Flash Drive - $25.00

Office Software
    None

Power Adapter
    330W AC Power Adapter (supports 100-240V)

Battery Options
    1 x 8 cell battery - 82Wh

Audio
    Onkyo Speakers x 2

Back-lit Gaming Keyboard
    Customizable Gaming Macro Back-lit Keyboard

Keyboard Language
    U.S. English

Branding
    No Logo on LCD Cover and Bezel
    Warranty and Service

3 Year HIDevolution Limited U.S. Warranty + LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical - $300.00

HIDevolution Limited Global Warranty
    NONE

$3,770.00

Papusan and Spartan like this.
  5. shengna

shengna Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Desktop is much better and powerful. Just buy a ultrabook.

6. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree with this choice based on the OP's description of need. He is looking for a primarily production oriented work-station. He already has a desktop he is converting into a gaming rig for his children.

7. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Precision 7530 sounds like a good choice. Lenovo P52 (similar) would be worth looking at too. They have very similar specs for the most part, and it could even come down to what you see at the outlet stores for both.

Desktop CPU sounds very nice, but that power brick is going to be big (and heavy, and expensive).

Both Dell's and Lenovo's 4K screens are very good, with close to 100% sRGB gamut. You will find that important doing photography. My old Dell 6500 had a 1920x1200 screen that I measured at 72%, and it was very washed out. Made it very hard for me to edit photos, and I wound up overboosting the saturation a lot.. Dell supposedly has slightly better screen; Lenovo has slightly better keyboard.

I wound up buying a Lenovo P70 last fall and I like it. The reason I switched from Dell was specifically storage: the P70 has 2 2.5" bays while the 7710/7720 has only 1 (the 7730 adds a third M.2, but still only one 2.5").

8. BrightSmith

Reputations:
    Perhaps the OP has a good reason for wanting a powerful laptop instead of a desktop: mobility, clean desk, etc. Yes, desktops can obviously be more powerful than even P750tm with a i7-8086K in it. But good luck finding a desktop in a 15 inch laptop format.

9. BrightSmith

Reputations:
    Despite TDP under stress the 8950HK draws as much power as a 8700K. Price of the psu is already calculated in my suggested configuration above, by the way.

Mastermind5200 likes this.
  10. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Understood, but if someone wants to have 2 or 3 bricks, it adds up. Bricks for Dell and Lenovo are cheap and plentiful on eBay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.