Looking to buy a general purpose laptop urgently

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by D0_do, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D0_do

D0_do Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I ran into problems with my current Dell studio 1555. You can read more about it here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/urgent-dell-studio-blank-screen-beep-sounds.788351/

I need something temporarily to get through my semester and later on I can buy whatever I want to, once I have some money of my own.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    600-800 CAD

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    Canada. Need to get it in my hands as soon as possible.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Not really.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes. Once again consideration is to get it in my hands as quickly as I can.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    I´ll be doing some heavy data processing stuff. This is just for next 3-4 months. Later on, the laptop is going to be used as a media device for general purpose tasks like browsing, music, movies, documents editing.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Yes. Should be portable.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    May be very rarely.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    4-5 hours.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Consideration is getting it quickly.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Windows and Linux. I can install linux by myself.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)
    Full HD. Current system has 1920 by 1080.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Glossy.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not much.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Right away.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4-5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    500 GB minimum. If it has SSD it is good. If it doesn´t i´ll add it later.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No.

2. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That said, I'd go with a refurbished business class option from manufacturer's outlets. Dell's Latitudes from E 5500 line upwards, HP's EliteBook line, and the Lenovo ThinkPad line are excellent durable, reliable, well supported, and easy to upgrade machines which should serve your needs well and last you 4-5 years with ease. And may even manage longer life.

3. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
  4. D0_do

D0_do Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @tijo @Kent T

Thank you for your recommendations.
    I spent some time filtering out notebooks on dell refurbished yesterday and checking their details.
    I have a few questions:

How much of a difference does cosmetic grade A and B makes? If not much, how about this one: http://dellrefurbished.ca/product/c.../latitude-e6430-core-i7-290-i73520m/si6819919

I also shortlisted the one selected by tijo. Just not sure about the cosmetic grade.

Meanwhile, my studio laptop's problem is weird. It is behaving unexpectedly. I will update about in the problem thread I started.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  5. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Grade A usually looks brand new or almost brand new, some of those will be cancelled orders, etc. Grade B has some "blemishes" so expect scratches and potentially small dents on metal parts, those will in no way reduce the functionality of the laptop though.

Kent T likes this.
  6. Kent T

Kent T Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, tijo accurately described the differences. And both get full warranty from Dell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.