Looking to buy a car... need suggestions.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A4 can be both fwd and awd, depending on the option chosen when purchased. Looks like that 2.0TFSI is 210hp stock but can go up to 260hp easily if only chipped, more when something else is done. Since the I4 engine is smaller it is less nose-heavy than V6 on slippery surfaces.

My friend loaned his A4 quattro to me few years back during the winter. Clever guy, as I gladly bought that car after a week of testing :D Needless to say I was sold the moment I got back into my old car and tried to leave the icy yard... In summer conditions the benefits of awd and how they differ (there are dumb, smart, continous and whatever systems) cannot be compared well.

2. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Very true. But for the base model A4, it comes with the Front wheel drive. Not sure how well front wheel drive handles in the snow vs all wheel drive. I know from driving a Subaru that all wheel drive is wonderful on slippery roads in the rain. No more wide offtracking.

3. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    what??? there's alot wrong with this statement. Lexus -- maintenance intensive and handling darn well??? a VW when the OP is considering luxury cars? have u driven alot of these cars u speak of? Lexus' are known to be some of the most reliable, headache-free vehicles to own.

@OP: yes the sport package will make a huge difference in the E. i wouldn't consider an E-class without the sport package because of the handling and aesthetic changes. i was actually considering one a while back. it seems like u want a luxury mid-sized sedan and the top 3 choices in this segment are the: Lexus GS with F-Sport package, 5-series with ///M-Sport package, and the E350 with Sport package.

the A4 is in a whole different genre. also, there is a pretty big difference in a regular A4 and an S4. S4's are faster, better handling, and just better in every aspect compared to an A4. if i was in that price range, i'd definitely consider the V8 S5. that thing has really beautiful, subtle lines and that V8 just sounds nasty (in a VERY good way). i dunno...maybe Jaguar XF? i hear those have alot of problems though. me and the ex almost considered one of those a long time ago.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    A current-generation Volvo S60 fits all your criteria, and used/off-lease cars from the brand are a bargain. The T6 model is very quick and surprisingly fun to drive. It also has a rather sophisticated all-wheel drive system. A buddy of mine bought a year-old one with about 12,000 miles for less than $30,000. His wife loved the car so much that they bought a second one in similar condition for the same price.

I like the VW CC a lot. It's 80% of a Mercedes CLS at less than 50% of the price. What makes me hesitant to recommend a VW, though, is the astronomical cost of service/maintenance when the warranty runs out.

5. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Even the base model has quattro option. I went thru Audi USA configurator, first you select

and then next option is

and after that rest is just accessories ;)

6. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Why yes I have...driven them and worked on them quite a bit. The uppers in at my old job all had Lexuses. And coincidentally they were always the ones needing minor repairs (leaky coolant hose, squeaking belt tensioner, etc.). And I do endorse their handling as extremely good. For one instance, I drove the owner's Rx300 back to his house thru some very challenging roadways (he lived way out in the boonies). That SUV handled switchbacks extremely well for a vehicle it's size. Our office Manager had an Audi RS4. Again, it had little things go wrong with it way more often than the other small vehicles we maintained. But her husband gave me the privilege of a test drive right after he bought it for her back in 2006. Boy did that sell me on Audi. It was pouring rain and that thing didn't slip up once. If I didn't have to get a pickup for practical purposes, I would have gone with the Audi.

And I didn't recommend a VW...I never would. It is just a little funny the Volkswagen Group whom own Audi (along with Porsche, Lamborghini, and Bentley) can't get their own namesake auto's to perform like their higher-priced cousins.

Ahh. That's how their configurator works. Kept trying to do it but the website was not cooperating. Good to know cause when I get new car down the road it will be an Audi instead of a pickup. :thumbsup:

7. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Test drove a few new cars, but got my mind set an on S5 ($35K ish). Any other formidable opponents to this car?

8. houstoned

Reputations:
    again...u are speaking from a VERY SMALL sample size. one that is the total opposite of EVERYONE else in the automotive world, including myself. Lexus will ALWAYS be more reliable the Audi. period. Audi will almost always handle better because of it's patented Quattro technology and their extensive experience with powerful sedans. Lexus STILL doesn't have any cars to go head to head with any of the other company's higher-performance models. AMG, ///M, and Audi S/RS-line vehicles are like beasts in tuxedos whereas the Lexus is a gentleman in a tuxedo. Toyo/Lexus has JUST finally gotten into the more sporty, aggressive approach with their new lineup of vehicles. used Audis have generally been a headache to own because of their usual European background. they finally started to produce more reliable cars around 2006-2007.

i have an A7 right now and have driven *extensively*, or owned, all the cars that i've brought up. the tiny repairs u mentioned for those Lexus' are pretty irrelevant because they happen to every car. hoses, tensioners, etc are normal parts that will wear out with use. if u think an RX300 handles well then i don't know what to tell u. the RX isn't even known to handle well for an SUV. the top handling vehicles in that segment are probably the X5 and the Porsche Cayenne. the only thing that i can think of is that maybe u've never driven a car that really handles well and/or u've never pushed a car to it's limits. Lexus is known for their more bland and comfy driving experience compared to it's European competitors.

@saturnotaku: really? a CC is 80% of a CLS? u're kidding right? the CC might look pretty nice for what it is but it doesn't hold a candle to even the base CLS. plus, the CC is like the size of a Civic on the inside.

@AmazingGracePlayer: great selection. that's definitely my favorite car in that particular segment. love love love the sounds that the V8 S5 makes.

9. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yea radji, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the maintenance bit. Most Asian cars are better than European cars when it comes to maintenance. You probably just got a lemon :(

@houstoned maybe @saturnotaku was talking about 80% of a CLS's size... I was actually looking at the CC (R-Line) before, but decided not to go with it because for the money I could just get an A4/S4/A5 instead.

@houstoned I'd do dirty things to an S5. But you know I always loved and always will love CTS-V. And an S5+$5K ~ CTS-V. Hahahaha there goes my bank, my original budget was $25K for a car, look at where I am now.

10. houstoned

Reputations:
    one of the recent lady friends that i was messin with had a CC with the R-line package. DSG and all of that. it was a really cool car, but the size made it have a girly feel, to me. the price does kill it for me as well.

i'd go with an S5, for now, and then save up for the next CTS-V. ;) that would definitely be a worthy upgrade from the S5 because the new CTS will be a direct competitor of the 5's, E's, and the like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.