Looking to buy a car... need suggestions.

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi all, I'm looking to buy a car in the very near future. I am looking in the CPO/used market.

I currently drive a 2007 CTS 3.6L with the sport package. Recently I test drove a Challenger RT and E350 W212 and I hated both for the same reason - the steering makes the car feel like a boat. It feels like someone put a delay on the steer response time, and it can only turn smoothly, especially the E350. At least I could jerk the Challenger out of control, but the E350 just rolls around like a ball. Maybe when I'm old and have back problems I can appreciate the comfort more, but right now I want a stiffer suspension and more responsive steering. I want to be able to feel the road.

What I definitely plan on test driving in the future:
    E550 (is the handling different than the E350?)
    S4 (B8)

Here's what I'm looking for in a car...

Budget: $35K
    Sedan very slightly preferred, but not necessary
    Stiff suspension
    No japanese cars
    Handling > power
    Easy to control in snow (it doesn't have to be a truck or Quattro, as long as it doesn't drive like a 90's Cobra it's fine)

Any recommendations to what I could check out?

2. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It seems like you're after a lightweight sporty European car. Have you test driven a GTi or a BMW 3 series? Those two would probably give you the most sporty and direct feel of the cars you're looking at.

3. BlueNasser

BlueNasser Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I know you dont want japanese cars but have you checked mazda 6. It has exceptional handling and its also fun to drive.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

4. JOSEA

JOSEA NONE

Reputations:
    Other than the line No Japane... I believe you just described 2013 WRX STI. I would at least drive one before any decision is made. Plus you would have ~ 5000 leftover for upgrades!

5. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Out of the German marques I find BMW provided the most driver feedback, on most big sedans the Beemers hide their weight pretty well in stock form. I was surprised how nimble my previous F10 5 Series was despite the size with M Sport Suspension package. Mercedes felt the most wallow in my experience, the steering was disappointing and lacks engagement. Audi fares a little better, it's stable and assured but not as sharp.

If you were open to Japanese marques then you could opt for the Subaru Impreza WRX STI as mentioned or the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X which should provide handling thrills and be within budget. I doubt they would be refined to their European counterparts but then you wouldn't normally buy these sort of cars for comfort really. You will have the assurance of AWD in both of these cars which is handy in the slippery stuff.

6. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    It's right at the limit of your budget, but consider test driving an Audi. They're maintenance intensive like a Lexus, but they handle so darn well. Pretty good considering they're owned by Volkswagen.

7. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have seen a friend's GTI's interior, not a fan. And I hate to say it, because I really want to like BMW, but I think they are hideous. Except for the previous generation's 5 series (which most people happen to hate). But I will test drive a 335 and see how it is. Maybe I will fall in love.

I would like some luxury in the car, which is why I'm steering away from cars like WRX, Evo, and Z.

I planned on checking out the S4, should I bother with the A4?

8. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If engine power is not on top of your list, I would look into the 328 as well since they share 90% of the same parts other than the engine of course. The 3.0L turbo variants in the early 2007-2009 models had some nasty problems, and a 328 would be more obtainable with more options to boot for the same price.

Absolutely, if power is not the priority, the A4 shares the same underpinning as the S4. You should be able to get into a low mileage two-three year old CTO 1.8L Quattro fairly easily.

9. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Oops. My goof. I thought your OP said you were looking at a Z4, as in the BMW Z4, not the Audi S4 (I really should get some sleep). Expanding on what Tailgunner said, the newer S4's are V-6 whereas the newer A4's are I-4. So right off the bat, the A4 will be lower priced because it's engine is smaller with only four cylinders. The S4 line only comes with the V-6 so you'd be paying for engine performance no matter what. And he's right about the handling and support. It's the same for either model. I test drove the S4 and it uses all wheel drive whereas the A4 is front wheel drive, so the A4 will probably handle way different than the S4 (plus it's been years since I test drove one).

10. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    If I was going to get a sedan right now then I think I would go with a Pontiac G8. Or maybe something from Cadillac. But IDK how well they will do in the snow. I don't get to much snow around here.

You could also look at a Volvo. The used prices on those a great and they have good interior, AWD, and can be pretty sporty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.