Looking to build a website, where to start?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by AmazingGracePlayer, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi gang, I am looking to build a website that offers tour guides. I want to incorporate a calendar system that allows guests to pick the guide/dates. I have no website design or coding knowledge. Where would you recommend I start for a comprehensive website designed for me? How much would you reckon it would cost?

Any other tips and insights on starting an e-business is welcome.

2. C64

C64 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Weebly or foursquared will do the job. You can get most of what you need with $8/mo using Weebly and it's super easy to setup.

$8 is their standard. Free edition means you have to use a domain that includes weebly in it.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Another possibility, which is slightly more involved but allows for a massive range of customization, is to buy a domain name, dynamic DNS service (if you don't have access to a static IP address), and setting up your own web server (can be as simple as a Raspberry Pi or an old computer you don't use anymore).

You'd have to do the website design yourself, so there's a little bit of a learning curve, though the relevant technologies (HTML, CSS, and some dynamic scripting like PHP or JavaScript) aren't too complicated to pick up.

4. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Another option is wordpress. buy your own ".com (.org, etc..)" name and install it on a paid webhost service example. wordpress is one of the most used platforms out there, originally made for blogging but now used on a lot of simple business sites. There are tons of free and paid themes and plugins to do almost anything you want, and the login/admin interface is really easy to use although a learning curve and a lot of site/design tweaking.

You'll also want to read and learn about SEO, to get more hits and a higher page rank on your site.

5. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    I would recommend Drupal over Wordpress.... if it's not a personal block/portfolio type site.

6. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    I'm surprised WIX hasn't been mentioned yet. They've been advertising on TV, and I know someone who used WIX to design her website--and she doesn't have any coding or web design knowledge.

Or you could start teaching yourself web coding at W3Schools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.