1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Looking for very light ultrabook (no more than 1.2kg/2.5lb) with battery life more than 7 hours

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by hermes014, Feb 12, 2013.

1. hermes014

hermes014 Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget? Up to £1000, preferable up to £800 (I'm from the UK)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    No I don't mind about the brand

a. Like: Except that I had an old Toshiba Portege laptop and it was really nice and light, but performance was not good and battery was bad

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Doing work using Word, OneNote, PDF documents, many browser tabs open for research

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Mainly taking it to different places. I am a university student and so I would be taking it to lectures to take notes.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    This is one of the most important points for me (7hours +). As much as possible BUT whilst keeping it very light weight. So far the best laptop I found that is lightweight is the Toshiba Satellite Z930 I believe which has 7 hours 30m battery and 1.18kg. If you can think of anything better than this please let me know, in particular I am looking for a laptop not heavier than 1.2kg. If you can think of anything with 1.2kg and more battery life than Satellite Z930 please recommend.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Buying online is okay

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista or Windows 7), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    Any Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

Resolution doesn't matter, only that screen is 13.3" or larger.

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?
    Don't mind

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    No

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within one week

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    As long as possible.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    Don't mind as can always upgrade.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    No, for me this is adds unnecessary weight and cost.

Also, I have a disability which means I cannot carry heavy things and thus why I ask for a laptop that is no more than 1.2kg and long battery life so that I do not have to carry charger to add unnecesary weight.

Actually, if there's anything with a much better battery life, I would consider anything up to 1.5kg also.

2. Cableman

Cableman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Take a look at the Samsung Series 9. The 13.3" model fits your weight and battery requirements. Build quality is excellent.

3. hermes014

hermes014 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the suggestion and the Samsung Series 9 does look like a really nice laptop at the same time the battery according to one website (Samsung Series 9 review: Verdict | Laptops and netbooks Reviews | TechRadar) last only around 3 hours whereas other very light laptops (under 1.5kg) I have seen have a battery life of at least 4 hours such as:

- Lenovo Ideapad u300s
    - HP Folio 13
    - Toshiba Portege/Satellite Z930

In fact, would any of the above laptops fit the criteria I listed well according to your guys' knowledge of good laptops currently in the market?

4. kanuk

kanuk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Macbook Air with the brightness turned way down... or... uh... a convertible tablet. That battery life eliminates almost every option.

5. hermes014

hermes014 Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes you make a good point, I just realised how stringent the criteria I gave is. How about instead we say under 1.5kg and a relatively very good battery life, that is one of the best out there for an ultrabook / lightweight laptop.

Macbooks are nice and at the same time they are not my kind of laptop.

6. kanuk

kanuk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well that opens up more options.

As far as light laptops with big batteries go I think Toshiba has some Portege models with a 72 Wh battery. The HP Envy 6t also has a good battery life, about 5 hours of real use.

Another option might be the Lenovo X230. It isn't very thin but it's fairly light and has an optional 9-cell battery which would easily give you over 8 hours of real-world battery life.

7. hermes014

hermes014 Newbie

Reputations:
    I noticed that the Toshiba Portege and Satellite models are almost identical apart from, if I understand correctly the former is more expensive and for entreprises mostly whereas the latter is less expensive and is more for consumers. The 72 Wh battery seems really good, I'm going to have to search for the one that has such a high battery life.

The HP Envy 6t is a really nice looking model and I like that 15.6" screen, the only downside is that it weighs 2.15kg - you can't have it all in the world of laptops!

The Lenovo X230 is looking really good, I'm going to add that to my list of possible options.

On another forum, someone recommended that I have a look at the Acer Aspire S3 or S5. I'm wondering what the difference is between these two because some websites say that they are very different, with the S5 being much better but other websites say that they are more or less the same.

Option 1 - In particular, the S3 (Intel Core i7 3517U 1.9Ghz) costs £594 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009R172QS/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers)

Option 2 - whereas the same processor S5 model costs much more at £714 (Acer Aspire S5-391 13.3-inch Ultrabook (Intel Core i7 3517U 1.9GHz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-bit): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories).

Option 3 - but the S5 with an intel core i5 3517U 1.7ghz costs £555 (Acer Aspire S5-391 13.3-inch Ultrabook (Intel Core i5 3317U 1.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-bit): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories)

THUSSS would you say that option 3 or option 1 is better, the only difference being obviously is that one option 3 is an S5 with intel core i5 whereas option 1 is S3 but with an intel core i7
    Thanks

8. KCETech1

KCETech1 Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I will second the X230 ... in my honest opinion it is the most portable of any laptop currently on the market even if it is a bit chunkier and heavier. and here is my reasoning for it after having its predecessor the X220 replace both my Macbook Air 11" and 13" as my travelling companion.

1: with the 9 cell battery I get 9-11 hours of ACTUAL working battery Life. ( i7, 16GB, 256 mSATA SSD and 720GB Drive, IPS display )
    2: with the slice battery attached I get around 20-25 hours meaning I never have to pack my charger even for an entire weekend.
    3: mSATA + HDD = no packing of an external drive
    4: enough ports - I rarely have to pack any adaptors or accessories ( on occasion a DP - HDMI )
    5: its FASTER than the ultrabooks I find with the 16GB and good SSD

Once I took into account all of the accessories, chargers, cases etc I would neeed for most ultrabooks it actually turned out it was actually thinner and lighter than the competition because I was packing exactly one device ... the laptop itself ( with slice if I needed 2 days full mobility )

9. hermes014

hermes014 Newbie

Reputations:
    You do present a convincing argument. Carrying many extra accessories does end up increasing the overall weight - something I hadn't considered. The one dislike I have with many Lenovo laptops is that the red "dot" in the middle of the keyboard is reminiscent for me of old chunky laptops as I haven't actually seen and felt new Lenovo laptops with the red dot and the dot itself seems 1990s to me. This is obviously something minor and I imagine I would easily overcome it if I saw a up-to-date Lenovo laptop.

How about the battery life of the Samsung Series 9. After a recommendation above of it, I did some research on it and even higher than the X230 is the Samsung Series 9 15 inch (Samsung Series 9 review (13-inch, mid-2012)) which has 7:29 of battery life compared to 7:19 with the X230, according to the source I provided.

Series 9 also has a 15 inch screen which is impressive, making it about 1.4kg (or 3lb for the USA posters!).

I think both the Series 9 and X230 are good options out there.

I appreciate the help. I've still got some more thinking to do but the ideas you guys presented have been helpful.

Thanks again

10. KCETech1

KCETech1 Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    the 7:19 is with the 6 cell battery and not the 9 cell nor with slice attached ( for that matter doesnt even run an ULV CPU ). as for the trackpoint ( red dot ) even as being a former Mac lover I have to admit in many ways it is superior to a touch pad especially if you are a fast or touch typist, you dont need to move your fingers from home row or reposition your hands to " point and shoot " I admit thinking the same thing as being old tech but It survived in niche and business markest for a reason ... its very effective.

I have never tried any of the Series 9 laptops but from the review to me the Elan touchpad instead of a synaptics is a large drawback ( I have always found them pretty horrid ) as is the lack of storage and its lower performance compared to other ULV ultrabooks.

if you like the Samsung, you should also look at the ASUS Zenbook's

11. Cableman

Cableman Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The Series 9 does not perform worse than other ultrabooks, most of the reviews posted online use the i5 ULV instead of the i7 ULV CPU that is also available and is in the other laptops this is compared to. There's a version with the i7 and 256gb SSD, but that is user replaceable so that's not a problem.

The battery life of the Series 9 is about 6 hours with normal use.

The x230 will definitely be faster - way more RAM and faster CPU. With the sheet battery it will also last way longer. It is however a little heavier and with a smaller screen. The design does not appeal to everyone so if you have the chance see it in person. The Series 9 is definitely the sleeker machine.

The Zenbook is another option, but there seem to be a lot of QC issues. In my opinion, the x230 and the Series 9 are the best ultraportables at the moment, each offering something that the other doesn't have...

12. hermes014

hermes014 Newbie

Reputations:
    I see so that means that using a 9 cell battery would indeed give the X230 possibly the highest battery life out of the ultrabooks. According to one source (http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/678321-weight-x230-w-9-cell.html) it's weight is about 3.8lb / 1.7kg, which is a reasonble weight considering that it has possibly the longest ultrabook battery life.

The Series 9 15 inch now has some serious competition from the X230. I would need to decide whether very long battery life or lower weight (1.4kg versus 1.7kg) and the 15 inch screen is better. I must say though a 15 inch screen weighing only 1.4kg is a godsend.

About the Asus Zenbooks, the UX31 seems to be a currently good, positively rated one. It seems similar to the Series 9 13 inch, though the UX31 does seem to have more battery life (ASUS Zenbook UX31 Reviewed | Ultraportable Reviews | Laptop Reviews). At the same time, the Series 9 13 inch weight only 1.16kg whereas the UX31 weighs 1.3kg, not sure how significant this is in real world terms. The weight of 150g probably isn't too big, but then the if I'd get a laptop weighing 1.3kg with 13.3 inch display, why not get a 1.4kg laptop with an impressive 15 inch display (which is important for me for work purposes). I hear you about the touch pad not being fantastic, although I can't comment whether that would affect me for sure, I should think it might not as I've never really used a touch pad and thought, that's a deal-breaker personally.

I have to choose between more screen size or more battery life. If the X230 had a 15 inch screen, while still weighing 1.7kg with the 9 cell battery that would be a deal for me. But as that's not the case I will instead have to choose between the two.

Either way thanks for highlighting the superior battery life of the X230 with 9 cell battery and the battery slice. I actually wonder whether the Series 9 15inch has a slice battery available for it.

13. hermes014

hermes014 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just saw your post as well Cableman. Yes that is exactly my problem as I just highlighted above, the 15 inch screen on a 1.4kg laptop is impressive, and as I'll be doing mostly work on the laptop the superior spec of the X230 is not much of a concern for me. I assume by user replaceable you mean it is possibly to upgrade the SSD and RAM, and if so then I didn't know that and that is a nice feature.

But as I said for me it still comes down to 15 inch screen at a weight of only 1.4kg versus a heavier laptop weighing at 1.7kg (without the slice of course) but with a much more superior battery life.