Looking for Ultraportable LTE equipped Linux Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by droidmahn, Dec 29, 2019.

1. droidmahn

droidmahn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget? $1000 or under

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

In that order incidentally.
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? Murica

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Clevo, GPD, Thinkpad
    b. Dislike: MSI
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Remoting into my desktop

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Pure portable machine. Wont sit in any one place for long.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Yes, but streamed via moonlight from my desktop. I could literally use an ARM laptop if it ticks every other box

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Maximum possible

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Buying without seeing is ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. 100% Linux. The laptop needs to be compatible with that above all.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) This is something ill be using quite a lot. Would like IPS, 1080p or greater, 60hz is fine.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) I dont really care either way. If it's glossy though I'd prefer it had a touch screen but that's a low low priority

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not really. Just needs to be solidly built.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 128gb or more preferred, but can go as low as 32gb

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? Until it dies

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? less then 24 hours lol

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? The option would be nice, but im pretty handy at maintaining my own devices. So spare parts availability would be another bonus.

My use case for this laptop is literally just remote terminal into my desktop, with a light weight linux distro with some basic network diagnostic tools. A built in LTE modem that actually works with linux would be a HUGE plus. I'm not against buying older or refurnished/used units. Honestly I've been kicking around the idea of a DIY raspberry pi 4 laptop and that would legitimately meet my horsepower needs. So to kinda list my requirements

NEEDS:
    Linux support above all
    LTE is a close second
    Good Screen
    Either a gigabit lan port, or USB type C (to work with my existing dongles)
    Wants:
    Long battery life
    Ultraportable (This is replacing a GPD pocket 2)
    Nice to haves:
    Thunderbolt
    1200p or higher
    touch screen

I'm fully aware this might not exist.. but im posting on the off chance that someone knows of something I havent been able to find via search lol

2. droidmahn

droidmahn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Update: Bought Chromebook Pixel 2013 LTE. $400 NIB
    Only 64gb of storage, but ticks every other box pretty much. Plan on installing coreboot, then Ubuntu with Moonlight and USB over TCP. Still open to other suggestions though at least until the return window on this is up

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Lots of notebooks offer the option of a good screen these days. If Linux and LTE are your priorities, then perhaps you should find for notebooks that meets those requirements, then narrow the field from there. Good Luck.