Looking for the perfect powerful laptop for me

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by riahc3, Dec 7, 2017.

1. riahc3

riahc3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    START COPY
    ==========

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

1500€. The less the better, although I dont mind going over (The 9560 with the specs I want goes over but I dont care)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

Size wise: D; 15" - 15.6" and Thin and Light

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Europe

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: Dell, HP, Lenovo
    b. Dislike: Apple, Acer, unknown brands

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Heavy performance with both virtual machines and GPU

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

No. This laptop will mostly be lying on top of my when I am lying on my bed.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Yes, I will be doing some gaming.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Battery life is nice but not something Im looking for as it will be plugged in almost always.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Even though I perfer seeing it, I consider a 9560 and it is impossible to see.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows. If it comes without a OS to shave some bucks, even better

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

MUST BE 1920 x 1080. NON NEGOTIABLE

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Not too relevant. Ill be lying on bed.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not too much but I dont want a 80s POS nor do I want some 15 year old gaming kid crap. I expect the laptop to look like a adult business laptop.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

As soon as possible

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

As long as possible. Current one is about to go 10 years and it can keep going.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

SSD drive and must have at least 500GB

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No

==========
    END COPY

Please state any additional features you need. It's also helpful if you can indicate how experienced you are with computers. If you're a novice and don't know much, that's alright. Everyone's a novice at some point.

I know the exactly what I want when it comes to specs but the ones Ive seen have issues. Ill list the ones then say what I want:

Dell XPS 9560 (The speakers are not facing me/towards me and I have doubts that laying doing on my bed, I wont be able to hear the movie correctly)
    Yoga 720 (Since I am looking for 15", the 15" with a dGPU cannot be found here in Europe)
    Asus Xenbook UX550 (Same as above: Only the 8GB RAM version can be found here in Europe)
    Surface Book 1/2 (Not sold here)

On to what I want.

Im aiming the budget to be around 1500€ (the less the better) and must be available in Europe

The screen must be very high quality as my main interest is movies and a size of 15" (or 15.6" something, in the 15" range) and the resolution must be 1920x1080. No more, no less.

Talking about physical size, I want it to be mobile. The current weight on my laptop is 2.8 kg (6.17 lbs) and Im fine with that.
    Im looking for at least 16GB of RAM for virtualization mostly.

CPU must be Intel and must be high end and prepared for virtualization extensions. I dont mind a 7th gen but perfer 8th gen. Must have at least one Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port.

I need a dGPU for some graphics work and gaming. Must be nVidia.

Im not looking for top quality speakers but they must be in a placement where they are fully facing me, towards me.

Must run Windows as stock OS. If I can shave bucks off it coming without a OS, great.

Three things that would be nice but not deal breakers like what I mentioned above:

US English keyboard layout
    Foldable touch (Yoga) or separated touch (Book)
    Fingerprint scanner

Again, these would be nice but at this point...

Thanks to all

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
  3. riahc3

Reputations:
  4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    It does. This is not a software issue - the VRMs reach upwards of 100*C and throttle the power delivery so as to not melt.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. riahc3

Reputations:
    I said it doesnt throttle as excessive as it did on release date.

Anyways, i dont care much about that vs the speakers so im looking at alternatives

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    It does - you cannot fix hardware problems with software and the design of the cooling system is fundamentally flawed due to the thin profile.

7. riahc3

Reputations:
    Look just for the sake of not arguing and getting back on topic and to STOP talking about the 9560, I dont care if it throttles.

Back on topic. Give suggestions.

8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    When I bought my X220, the fan went into overdrive as soon as you turned it on. Lenovo released a BIOS update that fixed the issue.

9. riahc3

Reputations:
    I said a issue I had with the XPS 9560 and its speakers; I tested a Asus that has the speakers also on the bottom but on the side (instead of front) and I dont notice much issues so....

Noone has given any alternative to either the 9560 or the other two laptops Ive mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2017
    kojack and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If you don't mind cpu throttling to 800-1200MHz then you can buy XPS 9560 from Hidevolution with CPu thermal paste and repads to reduce the chance of throttling with Gelid and Fujipoly pads. Mind you it will be expensive but it'll be the machine that fits your requirements.
    Personally, if you're better off with undervolting to reduce the temps even further. One more point is, elevate the back of the laptop when gaming using 2-3 bottle caps or cooling stand or basically a stand like X stand or Amazon basics laptop stand for better airflow.
    http://www.hidevolution.com/dell-xps-15-9560-fhd-56whr.html

The battery life will be around 4-5 hrs max (at 10-12W).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2017
    don_svetlio likes this.